1st Ocean Dive Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaPilot

Reaction score
OK ladies and gents. I've booked my first ocean dive for this weekend, Oct 2 off the coast of NC. We're doing the 28 mile ledge and the Hyde. The ledge (first dive) is about 90-105', or so the website says. and the Hyde is about 85'.

I am all excited about doing these dives, but am now a little reserved after reading all the posts here at Scubaboard (a great resource for info by the way).

Here is the kicker. I've been OW certified for one month. I got my night diving/limitied visibility qualification at the same time. And, last week I completed Nitrox. I've got 15 quarry dives under my belt, going to a max of 60 ft - although, not much time at that depth due to the coldness of the quarries.

I am very comfortable under water. I have never had any issues with panic in OW training, any of my dives, as a pilot, as a motorcyclist, etc... There was even a 50ft (I'm guessing) pipe in one of the quarries and I swam right through it the first time without fear. (My buddy stayed at the entrance for a litle while, then came over to the exit) And - as I said, I was very pumped and excited about my first deep (I suppose) dives in the ocean with Nitrox. But then started second guessing myself when I read some of these posts.

My certification is with SSI - but never heard anything about a 60ft recommended limitation with just OW certification.

I am a risk taker, and am willing most times to accept a fairly large amount of risk compared to other people. At the same time I try to control that risk by taking safety measures and diving, or what ever the risk may be, within my comfort zone.

My plan for the dives is to dive Nitrox I (ean32) to the tune of normal dive tables (dive computer set to air). Keep a good eye on my tank pressure and excercise the rule of thirds. (1,000 down, 1,000 around, 1,000 coming up) I plan to make a safety stop at 30ft for a few minutes and as long as I can stay at 15 feet.

My question here is how much risk am I accepting here? Am I being blatently unsafe?

well, ideally i would recommend an easier (shallower) set of dives to break you into
ocean diving, but the depth may not be the biggest issue.

the biggest issue is going to be getting used to the waves. it's hard to gear up
in the ocean if the waves are at all up. also, getting in and out of the water can
be tricky. also, if there's any current, you are going to have to play it smart and
not get too tired dealing with it.

i would let the folks on the boat know your skill level, maybe ask to be paired up with
a DM or an experienced diver. if at any point it gets too much for you, don't hesitate
to call the dive and come back (it's a LOT better to be in the boat wishing you were
in the sea than being in the sea wishing you were in the boat).

as for the depth, going from 60 feet to 100 should be ok. however, keep in mind
that with the extra depth, you must solve underwater problems underwater. this means you have to
be prepared to go to your buddy for assistance, and you and
your buddy must discuss the dive plan and follow the dive plan.

it sounds from your description of yourself like you will be fine. be cautious, be
honest about what you feel comfortable with, and you should be ok.

As you are approaching the depth where narcosis can set in, you really ought to be going down with an instructor, or someone with a hell of a lot of experience, just so that you, and they, know that your body doesn't play up at that depth. If your buddy is just as experienced as you, what happens if both of you suffer from narcosis? It is going to be like the blind leading the blind. Once you have a few of these depths under your belt, then it is different as you get to know what you care capable of. Don't mean to be a killjoy but this is important - it is not the same as diving to 60 feet. Did the boat captain not ask for your credentials.

Quick replies. Love it and thanks for the vaulable input.

I did forget to mention that I am going with an experienced buddy who has dived these sites before. That was a fairly big omission on my part.

With regards to Ni narcosis. Can't it hit anyone at anytime (at depth of course)? Several of the instructors I know have only experienced it once, maybe twice in hundreds of dives. As far as I know, there is no formula for it. Some people get it at 70 ft some at much deeper, some never at all. Some get it in cold water, some after a night of drinking, some while tired. The only *known* things about Ni narcosis is that it isn't consistent and it can be very dangerous if not with a good buddy, and you can relieve the effect by swimming up a few feet.

Help me if I am wrong here, but am I incorrect to say that if I did take an instructor down to 100 ft for say my first five dives, or first 20 dives, that I may not experience Ni narcosis, then on my very next dive with a regular buddy, I could get hit?

well.. yes... sort of...

nitrogen narcosis is not a line (now you have it, now you don't). rather, it's a
condition that starts almost as soon as you are breathing gas under pressure.
thus, you really are "narced" the whole time you are diving; it's just that you don't
notice the milder symptoms.

how much it affects you seems to depend on other things besides depth, such as how
hydrated you are, how rested you are, etc., so, yes, on any given day, you could
get severe symptoms at a depth you're not used to experiencing them.

remember, if you feel odd, ascend a few feet and the major symptoms should clear.

Welcome to the board neighbor.

I want to take this conversation in a different direction. How much time have you spent on a boat IN THE OCEAN (lakes don't count)? The last dive I was on I saw about 1/2 the boat puking like crazy after their first dive and we were only a couple of miles off shore. Unless you are SURE you don't get seasick I would suggest you get on some meds in you before heading out. I use Bonine, 1 before bed and 1 more the next morning. It's a lot better to take it and not need it, being seasick for 4 or 5 hrs is no fun and can sure take the fun out of diving.
You need to have a long discussion with your buddy on how to get off and on a boat in our seas. It's not uncommon to have 4 or 5 ft waves on a "good" day and you can get badly hurt on a dive ladder if you don't understand how to get on one.

Howdy Herman - always nice to meet a neighbor.

Well, I've spent a lot of time sailing sailboats in the ocean, although admittedly most of my expereince has been in the IC waterway and the sounds. I've been seasick a few times, but I pretty much wrote that off to hangovers rather than the boat herself.

I was thinking about taking something a few hours before, but really don't like to take medicine. I know there has been evidence of interaction with sudafed and EAN mixtures, is there anything of the sort with motion sickness preventers?

Ooops forgot one of your questions Herman.

I've read all the text I can about getting on and off the boat with equipment. Actually, if I am anxious about any part of the dive at all it would be the part of getting back in the boat.

I'm gonna have to do a lot of watching before I try it. NC waters aren't too friendly for that.

Thanks again for all the input.

Scubapilot,

From what you have described you should be fine. Stay aware of your suroundings, your buddy, and your air supply. Have fun and enjoy the diving. Your ocean experience will blow away quarry diving and leave you wanting more.

Enjoy!

ScubaPilot,

I am brand new to this board and just saw this post. I have been diving since February and and am AOW diver with nitrox, deep, wreck, night and navigation diving specialties. I have done diving off the NC cost this summer and I would never recommend that you do it on your first ocean boat dive - Sorry!! I think it is too big of a risk.

Please take Herman (Hello my BT buddy (I think we are finally going to meet at the quarry this month)) seriously when he talks about getting on and off the boat being tricky - at best it is tricky - at worst it can be very dangerous. Also the long bumpy boat ride out is worth taking Bonine in the night before and each morning before your dive. Curious as to which dive operation you are going with - as most would recomend that you have deep and wreck experience before going out - or have you go out with an instructor. Just MHO.

BTW - if you are certified with SSI - I bet you use the same dive shop that I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom