1st post cert dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLArmyBrat

Reaction score
We went to Blue Springs just to get wet and get some pratice in. What a trek!! But it was worth it.

However I found that I had this irrational fear. Now I am a smart woman. I know that with 1 million gallons of water coming into the spring a day and a good BC, there is no possible way I was going to go tumbling down into that crevace and fall to the center of the Earth. I know that in my head. But for some odd reason, I could NOT let go of the wall. I got down to 40 ft on my 1st dive (but had trouble equalizing below 30- so I hovered there for most of the dive). Then forced myself down to 50 on the 2nd (no equalizing probs that time). The b/f went down to 60ft to take pictures of the sign saying even instructors have died in there and that made me feel so much better!! LOL

Well all that being said, the spring is beautiful and I WILL get over this fear of spiraling down to find Jules Verne at the core!!! We're gonna get an annual pass to the State parks so I will be getting plenty of practice!!!

Later all
Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

Thanks!!! We're hoping to get out and meet some of y'all at some dives real soon!!!

Laurel

Scuba injuries are statistically most likely during the first 10 dives for a new diver.

Photographers make very poor buddies. They tend to watch the shutter screen more than their dive partner.

Put those together, and you are in a tough spot, statistically.

The best thing for you to do would be to take an Advanced Open Water course. That would give you 5 to 7 more dives, depending on the agency you choose, and would also get you past the 10-dive statistical hump.

If you choose not to do that, then at least tell your significant other who dives with you to leave the camera at home during your next half dozen open water dives while you develop some learning curve for yourself underwater.

Be careful about depth as well. Since the ambient pressure at 50 ft is 50/34 + 1 = 2.5 the micro bubbles in your neoprene wetsuit will still be about half the size (slightly less) that they were at the surface. Go much deeper, and you will be relying on your B/C to carry all the weight of your full tank(s) plus your lead weights, because your suit will no longer be buoyant.

B/Cs for women are remarkable under sized in lift capacity. Whereas wetsuits for women tend to have a lot of neoprene on them. If you are carrying a lot of lead, that nightmare about your plunging into the bottomless blue hole may be quite possible, past a given depth.

It is always best to keep a bottom under you (dive in places where the bottom is 50 ft or so) while you are learning to play with your B/C and the power inflator and other scuba gear.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong though. There is no serious photography going on here. Just a little disposable camera hanging on his BC for those Kodak moments. Didn't take but maybe 10 shots the whole trip.

We're being very careful and unless we find the time to go out in the next 3 weeks, our next 6 dives will be with a DM so that will help sharpen things too.

Laurel- The Frog Queen

I'm glad to hear you had fun at blue springs. I know lots of people who hate diving there because of the distance. If you enjoyed that place you'll love most of the other springs because most of them don't involve so much walking.

The walk wasn't near as bad as the one I had to make at the Inlet when the b/f hurt himself and I had to carry all the gear back myself! LOL

If that was the longest walk we have to make to a site with our gear on then we have it made!!!

Laurel

WELCOME to the world of SCUBA!!! My wife just finished the first third of her class. She has to finish the written tests, and this weekend will be doing her final checkouts. Then she will be among the certified.
(She has to be certifiable, she married me)
:loopy: :1st:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom