1st Regulator Purchase New or Used

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good day folks, I'm a relatively new diver, 150 dives, all rec while on vacation. I love deep wall dives and deep wreck dives. I recall one experience where I was at about 95 ft and really had a hard time pulling air through my Scubapro non balanced rental regulator. I'm super comfortable in the water and held off purchasing any gear versus my Dad who bought everything at first and found he had ear issues that couldn't be fixed...alas, I inherited a brand new Zeagle Ranger. He gave his reg to my stepmom.

I'm beyond grateful and now looking for a balanced reg DIN or pneumatic, makes no difference. I will not be getting into cold water diving nor cave diving, save for cenotes which are about my favorite dives. Does anyone have a used and maintained reg combo for sale or can you recommend a good deal in the US I could purchase in the next couple of days? I'm heading to Grand Cayman for a week of relaxing diving.

Anything you buy used should really get serviced or at least checked out before heading off on a trip. It would really stink to find an issue when you are far away from a friendly service option.

If you can swing the cost for new, I am hearing lots of good stuff about Deep6. They are relatively new, but seem to have great customer service. If I was buying a new set right now, that's probably what I would be getting.

Having said that.. Your decision should be made in consideration of how you plan to get service. Deep6 allows you to mail in for service, or (eventually) take a class to do it yourself. (one reason I like them).. If your not inclined to like either of those options, then you should find out what local shops can service for you.

I wont even get into the DIN/Yoke part. There are literally pages of debate on that here already. Just search a little of you care to read up on the debate.

Yeah I looked at Deep 6. Pretty nice looking stuff and 3000 to 150 IP is standard for everybody. What are the significant advantages of a deep six? Do they have some new technology that nobody else uses for a middle-of-the-road regulator kit? Or is it just the orange coloring that makes them look so unique? LOL

Never mind I found a great description from Chris

Well, a couple unique things right off the bat..
-A company owner who will respond to you very quickly and frequents discussion boards (like this one)
-A company that is not tied to a dealer/shop network that it not (always) customer focused
-Promotes educating consumers so that they can trouble-shoot and service their own gear (sort of unique in that there are only a couple of these right now)

Which is why I am only speaking to people on scuba board about this decision. :)

Watch Alex Pierce's YouTube video on choosing a regulator, could save you money.

Watch Alex Pierce's YouTube video on choosing a regulator, could save you money.
I did watch it. It was funny and very informative. Thank you so much

If you are just travel diving around the Caribbean, don't get DIN. There is no good reason to use them for that type of diving and finding DIN tanks in those locations is difficult at times. Yes you can use an adapter but why bother, just one more thing to bring/forget.

Back
Top Bottom