1st Stage Diaphragm: Replace or Re-Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that was me... thank you thank you, bowing..

I'm glad I posted it, now I know I need a new environmental seal as it actually touches the inner plunger when depressurized and even partially when pressurized as it seems the membrane has become too elastic. After seeing the video I see what you are talking about. At least I learn from my mistakes :)

I'm glad I posted it, now I know I need a new environmental seal as it actually touches the inner plunger when depressurized and even partially when pressurized as it seems the membrane has become too elastic. After seeing the video I see what you are talking about. At least I learn from my mistakes :)

Zeagle does not consider the outer, environmental diaphragm an "annual" replacement part, only if it is damaged. It is quite flexible, but actually pretty tough, so unless there is a tear or crack it is probably still good.

But if you do need to replace it, it is only $6.00, and you can get it (and other Zeagle parts & tools) here:

Zeagle Clear Diaphragm, Hydrostatic 341-0121-MC scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

FYI: It is completely normal for it to suck inwards with the regulator depressurized and purged. It is supposed to do that. It is not supposed to bulge up when the reg is pressurized, it just lies flat. I bet yours is fine, you just need to reinstall it with the reg pressurized.

Best wishes.

I thought that in both cases the diaphragm "sits" on a narrow, flat "ledge", and the diaphragm clamp ring has a smooth, matching surface that compresses (crushes?) the edge of the diaphragm as you tighten the clamp ring. Is this what you mean by "crimped on both sides"?
QUOTE]

OK, I've got a Zeagle DSV open and in my hand;

1. The diaphragm sits on a narrow "ledge" with a "ridge" in the middle of it.
2. The clamp-ring has a smooth surface with a slot in it, ie, the obverse of the ridge.
3. So you have ridge fitting into a coresponding slot (or trying to).

Thanks for causing me to look at it more closely. I've got an IP gauge on it now. Later I'll flip the diaphragm over and see what happens. How about that?

Thanks for for posting that evad.

I don't have enough knowledge/experience to ever advise against what Zeagle or any other brand says to do with their regs. I imagine Zeagle's service manual writers had a good reason for putting that warning in there, and I'd hesitate to 2nd guess them.

The Zeagle repair manual is emphatic that the diaphragm needs to be replaced, so personally I'll continue replacing the diaphragm when I rebuild mine.

My reason for starting this thread was just to get some more opinions / ideas and pick the brains of the experienced folks here. DA Aquamaster made a good point in his post about the difference in diaphragm thickness between Scubapro and other brands, and it may be that it really is a good idea to change the diaphragm in brands using the "thinner" diaphragms. I don't know.

Best wishes.

I'm glad I posted it, now I know I need a new environmental seal as it actually touches the inner plunger when depressurized and even partially when pressurized as it seems the membrane has become too elastic.
This is normal.

It HAS to touch the inner plunger in order to transfer water pressure from outside the reg to the spring pad seated on top of the diaphragm. Look at it another way.

The volume of the ambient chamber is fixed and the pressure outside it and inside it a the surface is 1 atmosphere (ATM).

At 33 ft the water pressure is twice as high (2 ATM) but the pressure of the air inside the ambient chamber is still the same old 1 ATM as it is fully sealed so nothing gets in or out. This means there is a 14.7 psi presure differential across the external diaphragm.

At 231 ft the pressure outside will be 8 times as great (8 ATM) but the pressure inside is still for all practical purposes the same as at the surface (1 ATM). What the means is that at 198 ft the pressure difference is now 103 psi across the external diaphragm.

If you notice what is under the daiphragm you'll note that it cannot move too far inward before it is resting on something. This ensures two things:

1) The pressure is transferred to something mechanically (in this case by pressing against the plastic transmitter piece that runs through the spring and contacts the spring pad.

2) The diapragm only moves a small amount inward until it is resting on either the transmitter or the body of the reg, ensuring it does not bulge too far inward and rupture.

In a dry sealed design, the pressure is not transmitted by the air (that would require the "fixed" volume inside the ambient chamber to compress to a small fraction of it's initial volume) but rather the volume remains constant the the pressure is transmitted by the water pressure responding to the low pressure in the ambient chamber and pressing in on the diaphragm and on the transmitter via its contact with the diaphragm.

So the water has to press against the the diaphragm which has to be in contact with the transmitter inside the ambient chamber as it in turn presses against the main diaphragm (adding to the constant spring pressure) and in turn the diaphragmn presses against the pin pad, which keeps the seat off the orifice until the pressure is 145 psi above ambient pressure, regardless of whether ambient pressure is 14.7 psi or 200 plus psi.

----

What this all means is that to work properly the external diaphragm should be in contact with the transmitter (opr close to it) and tha tthe diaphragm will have to resist upwards of 100 psi pressure differentials on deeper dives. So it needs to be well supported and needs to be in good condition.

In that regard, I am in total agreement that the external diaphragm on a dry sealed reg must be replaced annually. It is not the same as the older environmental seal diaphragms used on an oil or alcohol filled ambient chamber where the liquid was largely incompressible (but expanded and contracted with temperature changes).

Great explanation as always. Thanks for posting that DA.

Best wishes.

I am in total agreement that the external diaphragm on a dry sealed reg must be replaced annually.
QUOTE]

This not what Zeagle is recommending. They are recommending that the "hydrostatic transmitter" rarely needs replacement.

The Zeagle repair manual is emphatic that the diaphragm needs to be replaced, so personally I'll continue replacing the diaphragm when I rebuild mine.

I'm agreeing with you, because it is tricky to re-align the two "crimps" especially when the diaphragm is a little smaller than the opening in the regulator body, ie. it's slightly off center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom