1st stage failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I'm using this as an excuse to review safety procedures and to mentally go through the procedure had this happened to me or to my buddy at 100ft.

1. Remain calm.
2. Begin ascent with buddy, holding on to each other like we all learned in OW.
3. Share air. Buddy with air monitors gauges closely.
4. Control ascent.
5. Manually inflate BC at the surface. This is a big one and important to remember. I don't think it's practiced enough. No need to drop weights in most cases, barring some sort of simultaneous BC failure.

Frankly, I would skip the safety stop. Buddy's tank will be empty and we need to get up and buoyant slowly, safely, but without delay.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Would add:

Always know your Rock Bottom turn pressure . That way you KNOW you both have plenty of gas to reach the surface.

A long hose is MUCH easier than holding on to each other IMHO.

I would think that such a hose failure had some assistance from somebody with a wrench and little concept of torque specifications.

A long hose is MUCH easier than holding on to each other IMHO.

That's true, but what if an OOG buddy became separated suddenly? I think I'd like the freedom of a long hose so the regs aren't being pulled, but I'd still hold onto someone in need of my air source just in case.

Miscalculating how much air to dump like DD mentioned (with a turned off valve) and not deflating/manually inflating fast enough is one way to lose someone in a hurry, and it could easily happen in a panic.

Yea happened to me once. Crimp failed at the first stage on my regulator hose, we were at the end of a deep dive and about to start an ascent from 70 ft. Remaining air lasted about 5 seconds. I knew I was in trouble when I went to check my air pressure and the hose went limp. Thankfully my buddy heard the noise realized I probably was out of air and passed me his reg. Happy ending. Returned a few days later with my new pony to retrieve my regulator which I had dropped when I switched to my Octo, which of course was no help at the time.
My advice dive with a pony, with or without a buddy and always remain calm.
Remaining calm and my buddy probably saved my life. My pony gives me redundancy in the event something similar happens to me again.

Peter

I don't think the bubbles would be that annoying, since they would be coming out of the first stage. But turning the tank off can avoid getting water into the system, so if you are calm and competent in air-sharing, turning the tank off isn't unreasonable. It's not a priority. The priority is sharing gas and initiating an ascent, and controlling that ascent. It is a very good idea to begin sharing gas before the tank runs out, because at that point, nobody is frantic.
TSandM,

This is a small, technical issue, but turning the tank valve off will prevent water from entering the tank, but will ensure that water enters the first stage of the regulator (not that it would not anyway when the air pressure goes to ambient). In this situation, do what you need to do, but be sure to have the regulator thoroughly disassembled and cleaned.

Most of my diving is in relatively shallow water, and solo. I many times use vintage gear without LP hoses, so this is less a concern to me than to some with more modern gear. But I do have "vintage" gear with an octopus, LP hose and HP gauge too, so this is enlightening. I especially appreciated the videos.

SeaRat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom