1st time diver in Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cluck Buster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been reading your posts for three weeks or so, and I've gratefully pulled out some very good info, but I'm wondering if anyone has any specific input, suggestions, etc. for a beach dive this Saturday morning. I'm going out with my son with some borrowed gear to just putter around relatively close to shore. For the record, my oldest son (almost 12) and I are going to be taking a cert course (recert for me) next month, and plan on doing most of our diving right there in Venice off of our kayaks (although we won't use them this weekend), sprinkled with some underwater hunting of fish, crabs, scallops, lobsters, etc. If anyone has the time to respond, I'd love the opportunity to meet some of you, and any suggestions for a 1st timer this weekend will be tremendously appreciated. I see this pursuit filling way too much of our time!

Cluck Buster:
I'm wondering if anyone has any specific input, suggestions, etc. for a beach dive this Saturday morning.

I do. Get the child certified before you take him diving. Finding fossils is not worth risking his life. Keep him from diving until he's certified and I'll give him fossils.

Ditto. Let him do his first dive in a pool with an instructor.

If you're going to stay close to shore just use a snorkel. On the sand bar I find just as many teeth in 4ft of water as in 10ft of water.

For what it's worth, I was there Wed. and the viz was about 3 inchs.

Welcome to the board!... I hate to say it but, I'm going to start off sounding like an a-hole because I have mostly but bad news....

The a-hole part - I'd strong recommend waiting until you get your course knocked out to pursue this. If it's been a while and you only have 0-24 dives, and your son hasn't recieved any training yet, it's kind of a lot of risk. I applaud you getting certified, and get him started so early, but I'd wait the few weeks until you took the class, so that you are up to speed and he has some idea of how to help you if something went wrong. (let's face it most of the time its the 12 year olds take to it like gangbusters. It's the parents that have the problems!!!)

So maybe a snorkle dive? Ittttt's actually really helpful to have some snorkle time when you go to take the class.

The bad news - I'd say that the area just south of the Venice pier would be your best bet to grab some teeth this weekend. But you'd still have to drop in 13-16 feet of water (depending on the tide) to hit the first beds. But you'd really want to be out past the end of the pier and hit 18-22. Unfortunatly with the weather this week (5-9s yesterday 3-4s today) vis is probably going to suck. So I don't think you'd have top to bottom and it'd be hard to get comfortable as a newer diver. (your son) It is "supposed to" lay down a bit over the weekend with Sunday and Mon looking a bit better. I'm hoping to get out for some teeth Sunday myself...

Kayaks are a great way to do it as you can get out a little deeper, and they offer a little bit more protection than just a flag. (in case you weren't aware you do need a 20x24 size flag on a kayak.) And in venice you want that as it seems that boats are somewhat oblivious to the divers there.

Where are you doing your classes?

Thanks to those responding, and I'll take your advice. I likely will still head down for some shore-based searching this weekend. We both have snorkeled the area recently but haven't had any luck with teeth, although the shells have been great.

I've read that I'll need a larger flag on the kayaks, but I appreciate the info. My son and I, as well as my wife (already certified) have sit-on-tops that I think should be pretty easy to dive from in good weather.

Living in southern Polk County limits my dive shop options. There's still some debate, but we'll likely end up with Deep Six in Lakeland (good or bad, anyone?). I've heard good things about them so far, they're the cheapest in the area, and we get 4 Key Largo dives as part of the price. That's a pretty good deal, assuming we can get our act together relatively soon; a couple of friends are supposed to go with, but they're up in the air right now.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input.

I have to agree with everyone on this. Glad your taken everyone advice. Let us know how your doing with your classes. You can always PM any member here. We are always willing to give a hand. Looking forward to meeting you guys when you get out. P.S. Love Kids and bring him by to see me sometime!!!! I will get him so stoked on divin you wont be able to keep him out of the water. Good luck and welcome aboard we are glad to have you.

Welcome CB,
I'm also in Polk County and dive Venice regularly with my sons. Viz is going to be terrible for the next few days as others have said. I wouldn't even snorkel there with your son this weekend, First impressions and all.
John Appelboom (Boomer) the owner at Deep-Six in Lakeland will take good care of you. I live less than 1/2 a mile from a dive shop in Winter Haven and still take all my business to John. He knows his stuff and has the best prices anywhere?

Cluck Buster:
Thanks to those responding, and I'll take your advice. I likely will still head down for some shore-based searching this weekend.

Weather permitting, Nancy and I will be diving off Alhambra this weekend. Look for the folks with a pirate flag under their dive flag. I'll have a ziplock bag of teeth for your son.

That's a generous offer and I thank you for it. I'd be nice to bump into you.

Weather permitting, Nancy and I will be diving off Alhambra this weekend. Look for the folks with a pirate flag under their dive flag. I'll have a ziplock bag of teeth for your son.

You're alright, Walter!:D

Welcome to the board CB. I am one of many who kayak dive Venice. Just give us a shout when you're ready to go!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom