1st Time Liveaboard - What to Expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,

Heading out for my first dive-vacation in a couple weeks. I'll be doing a liveaboard out of Cairns, but haven't done one before, and am not sure what to expect. Can someone fill me in on a couple basics?

1. If I bring my own gear, are tanks/weights generally included in the price?

2. How does tipping work, and what's a fair tip for good service?

Hi

I have been on Trips with Mike Ball and Taka out on the Northern Reefs/Osprey Reef.
You will get weights and one tank that will be filled in between dives. One thing that I would recommend on longer liveaboard is to go with Nitrox. When you do 4 dives a day it makes a big difference - you are a lot less tired by the end of the day. It is a bit extra but well worth it.

Tipping is normally at the end of the trip for the whole crew. I would say depending on your experience give a tip that you think is reasonable. I gave around $50, but then again I am just a student and have to watch my budget :-(
Any further questions - just ask!

Max

Thanks Max...very helpful. Thanks for the tip on Nitrox. Several of my local dive buddies have recommended that as well, so I got certified, and am going to do it.

TAKA fit our schedule the best, so we're going out with them. I'd be interested to hear how your experience was with them.

I agree with Unterberg. If you get a chance use the Nitrox. Gear hire is optional but obviously costs extra. So although you can hire gear separately e.g just a computer is $40, it is cheaper to hire it as a package - $120 for a 3 day Cod Hole trip.

See here for a very rough idea of the itinerary which will give an indication of what to expect

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Taka Diving - Australia

Theres also a link at the bottom of the page which gives gear hire prices etc. Rather than travel with all yours may be better to hire it. It's good quality and all gets replaced every year or 2.

As for tipping, we dont expect it here in Oz, but like anywhere if you do receive good service its always nice. The tips on Taka are always shared amongst all the crew - even the hosties, so if is fairly done. But no one will mind if you dont tip.

Have a great trip!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Australia Diving - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef

Last edited:
I was out on Taka this year end of February on the Ospray reef itinerary.
I have done the 3 Day Ribbon Reefs/Cod hole before as well, but I prefer the Osprey Reef one with the Shark feed (you still get to dive all the Ribbon reefs and Cod hole as well). On thing that could happen if the sea/wind is too rough (25-30+ kn) they might not be able to drive out there. In that case you will have to do all diving on the Ribbon reefs which is great as well.

With the gear hire I agree. I only took my mask/snorkel/fin/boots/torch and camera. Didnt want to carry all my other heavy gear around and hired that for 160 on the Osprey trip. You do get Torches for the night dives though, but I had the experience that they are not that good/bright.
Hire computer was a basic Suunto I think. But for the purpose enough anyway.
They have different wetsuits (full, shorty etc.). I had a shorty that was just fine but after 14 dives it was rather uncomfortable, had marks on my neck from the bad fit. So even though heavy you might want to consider taking your own or you have to find one that fits and change if it gets uncomfortable after a while.
I have been on liveaboards before without my own fins and they just get you normal fins without boots. That is quite uncomfortable after that many dives. I have see this again with other people on the Taka trip in February - plenty of rub marks on their feet and uncomfortable. So I would bring all things that need a good fit - mask/fin/boots/maybe wetsuit. I can go with pretty much any BCD and dont mind the weightbelt around my waist. If you got problems with your back bring your own BCD with weight pockets or ask Taka beforehand if you could get a bcd with integrated weights for hire.
Other than that you wont have to do anything - just enjoy the awesome diving. You can also hire a camera or if you have that and need a strobe - you can hire that as well. Food and drinks are all included except soft drinks and alcoholic drinks. There is a honesty system where you mark your consumption on a list and then pay all at the end (credit card is fine).
If you got camera/video there is the possibility to use a computer but its easier to bring a laptop along. Towels and sunscreen are provided as well.

Hope this helps.
Max

>I have been on Trips with Mike Ball and Taka out on the Northern Reefs/Osprey Reef.

is mike ball worth the extra $$?

If you are just in it for the dives then probably not. But Mike Ball offers a few things that do set them apart from Taka. First is the fact they fly one way up, so here is less travel time on the boat. Means more time at dive sites.

The main plus is that they are the only one offering “Open Gate” diving where you can get in the water when you want at each dive site. Although Taka and Spirit of Freedom do offer decent lengths of time at each site, the open gate diving means that not everyone is in the water at the same time and you can get less busy sites, as well as more bottom time.

Lastly it’s the pampering! Mike Ball really are the 5 star service and if you are in for the top side service as well as the underwater sites then you will not be disappointed.

Taka is a great boat and I worked in there for a few years on and off, and the dive sites are the same as SOF and MB. Just a budget version if you could call it that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Australia Diving - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef

If you are just in it for the dives then probably not. But Mike Ball offers a few things that do set them apart from Taka. First is the fact they fly one way up, so here is less travel time on the boat. Means more time at dive sites.

The main plus is that they are the only one offering “Open Gate” diving where you can get in the water when you want at each dive site. Although Taka and Spirit of Freedom do offer decent lengths of time at each site, the open gate diving means that not everyone is in the water at the same time and you can get less busy sites, as well as more bottom time.

Lastly it’s the pampering! Mike Ball really are the 5 star service and if you are in for the top side service as well as the underwater sites then you will not be disappointed.

Taka is a great boat and I worked in there for a few years on and off, and the dive sites are the same as SOF and MB. Just a budget version if you could call it that.

Yep Mike ball is the luxury version. I would happily pay that extra. I mean they got a proper cook to serve you gourmet meals and the open dive deck is really a big advantage as well. On Taka they limit your dives to 50 mins or 50 bars - whatever comes first. And everyone is in the water at the same time.
Also if you havent had a low altitude flight over the reef yet - that is definitly worth some extra money too if the weather is nice. Lizard Island is a beautiful spot.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone...especially about the gear. I think I'll just plan to bring my own gear....I know it, and know it'll be comfortable.

Would have liked to do the open-gate diving from the Mike Ball boat, but Taka fit our schedule the best. I've seen good reviews for all three of the operators that do this trip though, so it sounds like you can't really go wrong.

One last question....I'm in Oz for three weeks, but am hoping to cram everything I need into a dive bag, suitcase, and day-pack. Is there room for that much stuff on the boat, or is there a place to store some of it in town while we're out on the water?

Thanks again everyone!

If you are going on Taka then there isn’t so much of a weight restriction. It’s only when you fly one leg of the trip (Mike Ball and Spirit) that you are limited to 25kgs.

You can leave the luggage you don’t need at the dive shop. When you board Taka your gear will be put in a crate and left at your dive station under your tank. So plenty of room for that. Don’t take suitcases on board as there is limited space in the cabins, and you only really need to travel light anyway.

Overnight bag with couple towels (they do provide a towel, but 2 is better than one and there is a dryer on board). Couple T-shirts, maybe something warm for night in case you want to sit on top deck (nights quite chilly this time of year, but days nice and warm - 27 deg C). Swimming gear and that’s about it. Don’t worry about shoes. More of a hindrance than help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom