1st Trip to Caribbean!

Which should be *1st* destination in Caribbean?

• Grand Cayman

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Curacao

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Turks and Caicos

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kedar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

We were planning our first trip to the Carribean and are debating destinations:

Can the people who have been there help us with following?
(1) Where to stay? Which place offers good rates with kitchen?
(2) Diving locations and operators--Good v. Bad
(3) Is end of November good time?

Thanks,
Kedar

I would of chosen Bonaire (if it was on the list), but thats just because I LOVE that place.

Honestly you can't go wrong in the Caribbean, but you need to decide what kind of diving you prefer and then base your decision off of that.

Good luck deciding.

Jason

I hav e been to both St. John and St. Thomas. At St. J i stayed at the Weston Resort. It wasnt the cheapest place on the island but it was very nice. The great thing about St. J is that it is a national park and 90% of the island is undeveloped....so if you want a real laid back time...that is the place. There are several beaches that in the time you are going will be practically empty. Plus, you can rent a car there and survive driving....

I stayed at the Rennaisance on St. T and it was very reasonable. I paid a whole $99 a night and it was as good as the Weston on St. J. Now i would never rent a car on St. T. that is a death wish waiting to happpen. But one island is only a 40 minute ferry ride away from each other.

On St. T I used Chris Sawyer dive ops and they were just great. Plus on St. T and about 200 yards from the hotel is a great shore dive too.

If you havent dove the carribean much or at all you will be very please i think. Personally, as long as i can get wet and not drown i am happy!!
good luck...let me know where you went and how it turned out

i head out to barbados in two weeks!!!!

I have to agree with Jason. You need to look into Bonaire unless you want a lot of shopping and nightlife. As you can do tons of shore diving on Bonaire, the cost per dive makes it one of the better deals. Most all of the resorts on Bonaire have condos with full kitchens. A couple of places to look at are Buddy Dive www.buddydive.com , Lions Dive (don't remember their web address ) and Sanddollar http://www.sanddollarbonaire.com/

RICHinNC once bubbled...
I hav e been to both St. John and St. Thomas. At St. J i stayed at the Weston Resort. It wasnt the cheapest place on the island but it was very nice. The great thing about St. J is that it is a national park and 90% of the island is undeveloped....so if you want a real laid back time...that is the place. There are several beaches that in the time you are going will be practically empty. Plus, you can rent a car there and survive driving....

I stayed at the Rennaisance on St. T and it was very reasonable. I paid a whole $99 a night and it was as good as the Weston on St. J. Now i would never rent a car on St. T. that is a death wish waiting to happpen. But one island is only a 40 minute ferry ride away from each other.

On St. T I used Chris Sawyer dive ops and they were just great. Plus on St. T and about 200 yards from the hotel is a great shore dive too.

If you havent dove the carribean much or at all you will be very please i think. Personally, as long as i can get wet and not drown i am happy!!
good luck...let me know where you went and how it turned out

i head out to barbados in two weeks!!!!

Rich....The only place in the Caribbean I've been to is Cozumel and needless to say diving there was amazing.

A couple of questions:
(1) How does the diving in St.T and St.J generally compare to say Cozumel (since that's the only reference I've got)?
(2) How many day/nights would you recommend for St. J and St. T? And how would you break them down?
(3) Which location (east/west/north/south) would you reco on both these islands?

Thanks in advance.

Kedar

GC is great because of the convenience of walk-in diving. While the boat diving is spectacular, walk-in dives are certainly more affordable. :$:

All your choices are great. With DEMA around the corner you might wish to base your decision on who has the best deals to offer. Afterall.....its just a matter of time before you dive them all right???? If that is the case....then cheaper is better!

P.S. I'm going to DEMA as I'm sure a number of people on this board are. If I can get you any information, let me know and I'll try.

Having dove all of your list except Curacao I can say without doubt that the Turks & Caicos is the best of the three.

I've been to all but St John. My favorite of these is Turks and Caicos, great diving and variety and more chance of seeing big stuff as a bonus.

Grand Cayman is great too if you get to the right places; Little Cayman is a place to go as well - if you have enough time splitting a trip between the 2 is an idea.

I've been to Curacao a number of times and like it alot, besides good diving it's an interesting island.

Bonaire was my first Carribean dive trip and I still think it makes a great first trip.

ALl depends on the type of diving you want, and what else you want to do.
And depending on experience, what conditions you are comfortable with. All easy places to dive, but Bonaire gets points for extra easy & calm.

As far as a nice place to stay in Cayman I have a beautiful bed and breakfast in a heritage home, private entrance, bath. Place to wash and store your dive gear. We are minutes from George Town, airport and beaches. On bus line. Computer availability, cable tv etc. Offered from Dec 1/03 to Mar 31/04.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom