2.5mm/3mm Reef Full Suit, does it make that big of a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimmerscuba22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've always worn a 3mm shorty when diving in the Caribbean but have found myself getting chilly around the 45/50min mark. A few friends have suggested making the switch to a full suit. What are your thoughts oh wise ones?

Thanks in advance :)

did it fit?

i continually see cold divers wearing suits that do not fit. if it does not fit, then it is not warm.

on our last trip one diver had a thin skin and wore a shorty wetsuit overtop. the wetsuit arms and legs had about 1 inch extra slack at the openings. so it really was only good for flotation and padding. they were always cold.

i have alway used a thick shorty and definitely notice when the suit starts to fall apart. last trip the armpits developed rips. time for a new suit.

Yeah a full suit will help, but a simpler an cheaper solution may be to add a 2 mm hood. Adding a thin hood that is not too tight will not affect your buoyancy and can make a huge difference.

Assuming both the shorty and the full suit fit equally well (so as to insulate properly), it may not make a big difference. Both types of suits cover the core area of your torso, which is where it is said we lose the most heat (probably mainly because it's a big area). Of course, if you feel that your arms and legs are getting cold, then a full suit would address that problem.

I have never worn a shorty--always always a full suit, even in 84F water--because I value the protection against jelly stings, etc.

@giffenk : did it fit?

Thankfully yes my suits fit like a glove

@dumpsterDiver : Yeah a full suit will help, but a simpler an cheaper solution may be to add a 2 mm hood. Adding a thin hood that is not too tight will not affect your buoyancy and can make a huge difference.

I've thought about that but I think back to when I have to wear a hood for cold water diving and it's a pain with long hair/pony tail. Really alters the comfort level

@Lorenzoid : Assuming both the shorty and the full suit fit equally well (so as to insulate properly), it may not make a big difference. Both types of suits cover the core area of your torso, which is where it is said we lose the most heat (probably mainly because it's a big area). Of course, if you feel that your arms and legs are getting cold, then a full suit would address that problem.

Maybe even a vest would cure my chills!

Thank you to everyone for your opinions and suggestions

I usually wear a 3mm beanie as much for sun protection as anything else but it cuts down on heat loss without the confinement of a hood. I prefer to not wear a hood when possible and the beanie does not bother me at all.

True there is more heat loss from some other areas but the blood is pumped throughout your body. Bare legs are a heat loss and does drain some heat from the core of the body through circulation.

. . .
True there is more heat loss from some other areas but the blood is pumped throughout your body. Bare legs are a heat loss and does drain some heat from the core of the body through circulation.

True. The common advice to "keep your core warm" is not the end of the story. It's the start.

In my experience, the full suit will make a difference, more than some might suggest. I am on of those who always uses a full suit in the ocean because I want the full protection from stinging things, so my experience is mostly in a pool. I used to teach in a pool where we used mostly shorties for both students and staff. I now use full suits, and I believe the difference is noticeable.

I also have another experience that you might find interesting. About 6 years ago, I went to Hawai'i to dive for the first time, and back then I did not have a lot of wet suit options. I took a 3mm full suit (which I knew would not be enough for me), a 3mm vest, and a hood. For the first few days, I wore the full suit and the vest, and I was a bit chilly by the ends of the dives. Then one day I mistakenly left the vest at the condo, so I pulled the hood out of the bag for the first time. With just the 3mm suit and the hood, I was nice and warm.

@Steve_C: usually wear a 3mm beanie as much for sun protection as anything else but it cuts down on heat loss without the confinement of a hood. I prefer to not wear a hood when possible and the beanie does not bother me at all.

Never even thought of a beanie, which would work with long hair/pony tail unlike a hood. Thank you Steve

@Lorenzoid : True. The common advice to "keep your core warm" is not the end of the story. It's the start.

True but happy for any and all suggestions, thank you.

@Dive Right In Scuba In my experience, the full suit will make a difference, more than some might suggest. I am on of those who always uses a full suit in the ocean because I want the full protection from stinging things, so my experience is mostly in a pool. I used to teach in a pool where we used mostly shorties for both students and staff. I now use full suits, and I believe the difference is noticeable.

I also have another experience that you might find interesting. About 6 years ago, I went to Hawai'i to dive for the first time, and back then I did not have a lot of wet suit options. I took a 3mm full suit (which I knew would not be enough for me), a 3mm vest, and a hood. For the first few days, I wore the full suit and the vest, and I was a bit chilly by the ends of the dives. Then one day I mistakenly left the vest at the condo, so I pulled the hood out of the bag for the first time. With just the 3mm suit and the hood, I was nice and warm.

Sounds like a happy accident in the case of forgetting the vest. I may forgo the comfort level and try out a hood. Thank you for sharing and adding to this thread.

Try a soft flexible thin hooded vest..i find that adds a lot of warmth for the buck and i find it, for some reason, more comfortable than a hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom