2 day ow certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5929739:
If 14 months rounds up to 2 years in your world, what does that say for the rest of what you type?

True, I have been certified as a full-fledged "Instructor" for 14 months. I suppose a more precise wording would be, "Having been teaching OW Divers, in all professional capacities, for a few months shy of 2 years." Is that precise enough for you?

During my admittedly short career as an Instructor, and going back as far as my months in DiveCon training, which began in December of 2008, I've had a hand in teaching more than 200 students... and that's classroom, pool and open water... hand's-on. I've also worked in a dive store part-time during that entire period and seen a lot of people come through the doors. I'm not just speaking out of the side of my mouth.

That said, and back to the point of the OP, I appreciate your comments on the 2-day course you've taught. You are in a warm water destination, teaching young, fit persons who are more than likely very comfortable in the water... you prove my point.

True, I have been certified as a full-fledged "Instructor" for 14 months. I suppose a more precise wording would be, "Having been teaching OW Divers, in all professional capacities, for a few months shy of 2 years." Is that precise enough for you?

During my admittedly short career as an Instructor, and going back as far as my months in DiveCon training, which began in December of 2008, I've had a hand in teaching more than 200 students... and that's classroom, pool and open water... hand's-on. I've also worked in a dive store part-time during that entire period and seen a lot of people come through the doors. I'm not just speaking out of the side of my mouth.

That said, and back to the point of the OP, I appreciate your comments on the 2-day course you've taught. You are in a warm water destination, teaching young, fit persons who are more than likely very comfortable in the water... you prove my point.

Personally, I'm not saying you are talking out of the side of your mouth. :mooner:

What the hell does this line mean? :confused:

"Having been teaching OW Divers, in all professional capacities, for a few months shy of 2 years."

Is an SSI Dive Con specifically qualified by SSI to teach OW divers, in all professional capacities? :confused:

you prove my point.

Please be a little more specific about just exactly how I prove your point. Which point out of your many pointless points? :idk:

Forum: Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies

This is the place to ask that Dive Agency about their classes!
Dive Agency and other industry reps: Discuss your products and services. Tell us about any new products you might have. Ask for constructive criticism of your products and services. Share any other information you feel would be of interest. Please contact the ScubaBoard Team if you want a private forum for your agency.

From what I can tell, having been an Instructor now for 2 years in the Pacific Northwest, the weekend, or 2-day "immersion," OW certifications are producing some of the most ill-equipped and ill-prepared divers the sport and industry have ever seen.

Please post one link to any instructors 2-day "immersion," OW certification that you have verifiable first hand experience of their certified divers failings described above. :shakehead:

halemanō;5929795:
Personally, I'm not saying you are talking out of the side of your mouth.

Then what's got you so bent? You live on Maui, you're living the life we all want to be! What shop do you work at, I know quite a few South Maui folk?

halemanō;5929795:
What the hell does this line mean? Is an SSI Dive Con specifically qualified by SSI to teach OW divers, in all professional capacities? :confused:

For you PADI pros... an SSI DiveCon is the equivalent of an Assistant Instructor. A DiveCon is allowed to teach OW Students in the classroom and the pool with indirect supervision, as well as lead them on open water certification dives after their first two with an Instructor. Additionally, a DiveCon can issue certification for a handful of diving specialties.

halemanō;5929795:
Please be a little more specific about just exactly how I prove your point. Which point out of your many pointless points? :idk:

The one in my second paragraph (the one you said wasn't provable) where I said it is more conceivable to do a 2-day course in a warm water destination. You expounded on it by adding that your students where youthful and active... that makes a huge difference too I'm sure.

halemanō;5929805:
Please post one link to any instructors 2-day "immersion," OW certification that you have verifiable first hand experience of their certified divers failings described above. :shakehead:

I don't need it, I've been in the water with them and seen how ill-prepared they were. And I understand it's not everybody.

I tell you what... I get students all the time who are going to Maui after certification in my 2-week and 4-week courses. The next ones I train, I'll send them to you for a little diving. You take them and show them a good time... and shoot some video to provide some "proof" of how well they do. And I'll do the same for some of your students who take your 2-day course and then come to the northwest to do some cold water diving. We'll post all the video results online and let the OP be the judge.

Deal?

halemanō;5929795:
Is an SSI Dive Con specifically qualified by SSI to teach OW divers

There are an assortment of requirements involving how closly an instructor needs to be supervising for various activities, but the short answer is "yes"

in all professional capacities? :confused:

Not sure what that means.

flots.

"In all professional capacities."

Meaning as both a DiveCon and as an Instructor. In other words, going back to my first professional certification, as a DiveCon (August'09).

While it's more conceivable to complete such a course in a warm water destination... in that the participant may be more comfortable and feel like they are "ready" afterward, there is no way you can master the intricacies of buoyancy in that short a time. For the sake of money, "resort" courses sacrifice proper training time and send "certified divers" out in to the coral reefs to damage them for the rest of our lifetimes... truly a shame, if not a sham. Please do not be selfish and self-serving, take the time to get trained properly.

halemanō;5929739:
There is no way you can produce any "proof" about any of the garbage in your second paragraph! Bunch of unsupported ignorant opinion is all you have typed, typed as fact? :no:

halemanō;5929795:

The one in my second paragraph (the one you said wasn't provable) where I said it is more conceivable to do a 2-day course in a warm water destination. You expounded on it by adding that your students where youthful and active... that makes a huge difference too I'm sure.

There is quite a spin to your propaganda, but spinning does not make me dizzy. :rofl3:

By starting that paragraph (top quote above) with "While" the fact that Standards allow a 2-day OW course and that I have certified OW divers in 2 days does not prove any "point" you made in that paragraph!

there is no way you can master the intricacies of buoyancy in that short a time

For the sake of money, "resort" courses sacrifice proper training time and send "certified divers" out in to the coral reefs to damage them for the rest of our lifetimes

Please do not be selfish and self-serving, take the time to get trained properly

These are what I would call the unprovable, "unsupported ignorant opinion" points of the paragraph in question, and my certification of three big ocean studs who prior to scuba training had; many free dives deeper than 100', been held under water for "minutes" by tons of crashing water numerous times and participated in "rock running" in their down times, in no way proves any of your pointless points!

halemanō;5929795:
Personally, I'm not saying you are talking out of the side of your mouth. :mooner:

Do you have smiles disabled? The smile is part of the sarcasm! :eyebrow:

[video=youtube;GVTJjOCweAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVTJjOCweAQ[/video]

[video=youtube;RPGYpWUmTvY&t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPGYpWUmTvY&t=26s[/video]

Last edited:
From what I can tell, having been an Instructor now for 2 years in the Pacific Northwest, the weekend, or 2-day "immersion," OW certifications are producing some of the most ill-equipped and ill-prepared divers the sport and industry have ever seen.

halemanō;5929805:

I don't need it, I've been in the water with them and seen how ill-prepared they were. And I understand it's not everybody.

This is not about what you need. This is about typing "unsupported ignorant opinion" as fact. :no:

I personally do not believe you can prove you have been in the water with even one certified OW diver who was certified in just 2 days of instruction, or you would have typed something to the effect that you will find some proof for us to verify. Just because someone claims on an internet forum that it was a 2-day course does not mean there is any proof you can produce verifying that it was a 2-day course. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom