2 Divers reported dead at Point Lobos, Ca.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad story, RIP. My husband and I love diving at Point Lobos, and it's sad to think of something so tragic happening in a place so beautiful.

DD..I dont know where that picture is from but it is not Point Lobos.

The photos is indeed from Point Lobos, it is my favorite non-dive spot in the reserve. It's China Cove, on the southern end.

For those unfamiliar with Pt. Lobos and Whaler's Cove. Whaler's Cove is the only scuba entry/exit allowed in the park. It is deep in a protected cove and has a concrete boat ramp for the entry and exit. Even with huge swells the entry and exit are probably the safest and easiest in all of Monterey/Carmel diving.

At the mouth of the cove there are rocks where the waves can crash and churn. These are easy to avoid. The sand channel where the female diver was found floating extends from the middle of the protected cove out to the cove mouth, but well away from any rocks. There are underwater rock reefs, but they are easily avoided even in very heavy surge.

A link to a great diving map of the area. Point Lobos Underwater Maps.

IMHO, environmental factors - while they may have played a role, even a significant one - do not explain the double fatality.

IMHO, environmental factors - while they may have played a role, even a significant one - do not explain the double fatality.
Since her tank was found to be empty, being out of air does lend itself to an OOA scenario. We will never know the actual cause of this families tragedy. The teenager that was present has my deepest sympathies, along with her sister. There was nothing anyone could have done different to save their lives due to the elapsed time frame. The dive team that assisted in her recovery and put everything they had into swimming out, and bringing her back in while giving rescue breathes are worthy of praise! They are folks I would dive with any day.

The take away should be watch your air consumption and have a dive plan in place that takes into account depth, time, and turn pressures. Learn what "Min Gas" is and set it as a hard rule never to be broken. Most divers get out of open water and never again practice an air share, nor ascent while sharing air. Make these a routine part of your dives and please be safe. Practice, is what turns a dangerous situation, into more of a drill you have already done, and are comfortable doing.

Edited to reflect they were a family of four :(

Last edited:
Not intending to quibble, but where did you read "empty tank"? I haven't seen that in the linked reports.

My speculation runs the same direction, though...i.e. OOA or some other mishap.

Hi all.

One of the divers that retrieved the female diver has given me some more details. I do not plan on asking for further information. PLEASE everyone, for the sake of the teen who lost both parents let's keep this discussion focused and on track.

The responses to my questions:

1. Where, as best you can describe it (or mark on a map) did you first see the female diver?

"We saw the woman pretty much in the middle of the sand channel, maybe slightly to the other side of the shore when you are at the boat ramp."

2. Were there any obvious injuries? any missing gear? (mask, weight belt, etc.) Did you note the spg reading? You mentioned in one of your first posts that she was out of air. Were you told or did you see that yourself?

"There were no visible injuries, I did not check all her gear but when you dive for a while you get a relatively reliable eye for "everything looks ok" - she looked okay.
I actually have second thoughts on the out of air. I did see her pressure gauge but don't recall for sure the value. I do think I saw the needle very low. However, I pumped some air in the BCD when I clipped her out. So it was not all out ..."

3. How was the female diver positioned? Face up, face down, other? I assume she was at the surface. Was the BCD inflated?

"
She was def face down, I turned her around. I am not positive but believe her BCD was at least partially inflated. I have it only a little air and it was floating when the firefighters picked it up. However, she also had an 80 Ali tank which floats when it is empty. I don't recall a weight belt and assume they were integrated (unless dropped) which would suggest a at least partially inflated BCD.Same thing - I was focused on getting her out and am increasingly less sure what I actually saw vs what I assumed"

4. Where, when, and how was the male diver found?

"
The male diver was found close to shore on the other side of the sand channel when standing on the boat ramp.He was hard to spot from where we were. We saw him after we pulled his wife out - approx 20 min after we saw her. It is not clear to me when he surfaced there. It is very possible he was there all the time but we did not see him."

One comment from me: In my experience the swells tend to push stuff into Whaler's Cove. Therefore ***SPECULATION**** the divers may have surfaced further out towards the cove mouth and been pushed into the cove proper. ****END SPECULATION****

From the Sacramento Bee Page A4 Tue Feb 26, 2013

"Officials said Monday that the equipment used by a San Jose couple who died during a scuba dive off the Monterey County coast appeared to be intact and that investigators were still searching for a cause of their deaths.

"There was no trauma, there was nothing obvious", said Eric Abma, acting sector superintendent for the state Parks and Recreations Department.

Emergency crews found Volodymyr Butsky, 40, and his wife, Marina Butsky, 41 at Point Lobos State Natural Reserve on Friday."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom