2 knot current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Man, it makes me laugh in people's faces when they tell me how they were diving such and such wreck in a 2 or 3 knot current. 2 knots is ~200 ft/min. Does anyone really think they can swim 200 ft/min on SCUBA? 2 knots is the speed of a Gavin at full tilt. If you've ever been towed by one of those things, you'll know, there is no damn way anyone is going to be swimming that fast. People are so FOS sometimes.

I think people mostly just don't know how to estimate those things.

Last week we were kicking into a stiff current ... working to hold position for our safety stop. When we got in, one of my dive buddies asked me how strong the current was. I said maybe a half-knot or so ... she looked really surprised and said "I thought it was 2 or 3 knots".

I don't think people are intentionally exaggerating, I just think it's one of those things that's easy to overestimate until you get some practice at it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I learned what a 2-3 knot current was a couple of weeks ago when I was diving Lock 23 on the St Lawrence. Cat and I were kicking our butts off (neither of us are exactly slouches), dragging along the rocks in our wetsuits, and still making 0 headway.

3 knots is #!*!@$ fast.

A quick 'n' dirty way to estimate current (from this reformed dinghy racer) is to check how long in seconds it takes something to float one foot of distance.

Floaty going 1 foot/sec = 1 knot.

We used to do the reverse to judge our boat speed : pick a point and time how long it takes the boat to pass it (you have to know the length overall of your boat)

It's not exact, it's yet another "rule of thumb".

My rule of thumb ... in 1 knot of current I can hold my own for maybe a couple of minutes. More than that, I'm gonna go with the flow ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FreeFloat:
A quick 'n' dirty way to estimate current (from this reformed dinghy racer) is to check how long in seconds it takes something to float one foot of distance.

Floaty going 1 foot/sec = 1 knot.

It's not exact, it's yet another "rule of thumb".
I agree with the method, but use 1/2 meter (or yard) per second = 1 knot.

Another way to estimate is to remember that 10 feet in 6 seconds is 1 kt, which is easy to convert to other distance-time combinations such as 5'/6 secs; 10'/3sec, 5' in 3 sec (1/2kt, 2 kts, and 1 kt).

--------------

Another easy way to make a good estimate of the current is to take the consensus on the dive boat, then divide by half :banana:

Charlie

Charlie99:
--------------

Another easy way to make a good estimate of the current is to take the consensus on the dive boat, then divide by half :banana:

Charlie

I guess your signature says it all. Maybe even 1/3.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom