2 piece vs. 1 piece wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laurel0000

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm in the market for a new suit. I've always had a shorty but starting cold water diving now. Looking for a 7mm and can't decide on the two vs. one piece. Anyone have any experience with both? Thanks in advance. Happy diving!

My wife has tried both and she prefers a one piece. Mainly because she feels their is less neoprene over her chest and less resistance in breathing.

Her number one preference is a dry suit to totally eliminate the slight squeeze from a wetsuit.

You have more insulation with a two piece but generally less waterflow with a one piece, particularly if it is a semi dry due to the seasl in the wrists, ankles and neck. So in terms of warmth they are fairly equal with the nod going one way or the other depending on the specific suit design.

I dive a one piece 5mm steamer with a 7mm body warmer. Works great, you have 3 wetsuits and with the two together I have dove in 40 degree water without feeling the cold at all.

as CB suggests, what I use locally when I dive wet is a one piece suit with a hooded vest under it. No need to peel everything off to use the head. I did have a one piece with a hooded jacket, but that was a pain to deal with. I have also done the farmer jane thing, but I prefer the one piece as less restrictive.

I use a Cressi Lontra 2-piece suit. The hood is attached to the vest, haven't used it though.

I mainly use the overall with a separate hood. Works fine for me.

I used a two-piece 7mm farmer jane during my OW classes and HATED it. It was VERY constricting. I now use a one piece 7mm jumpsuit and a 3/5 hooded vest. It's much more comfortable and keeps me plenty warm in this colder Monterey water.

~LittleFrog

I love my two piece Liquid Fit suit. It's a full suit with a sleeveless shortie designed to be worn over it. I've only worn the full suit, but when needed, I have the shortie to wear over it. That will give me a total of 7mm in my torso.....I love this combinatioon much more than the traditional farmer john and jacket.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom