2 Tank Dive -- Nitrox Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wanted to get a sense for folks preferences...
Two tank dive
1st dive: max depth 110
2nd dive: less than 60 feet.

My thought was 32% for first dive, 40% for second.
How do you guys feel?

First dive is obvious at 32%. Second dive you probably will not approach your NDL with 32% unless you have a short surface interval. I only pump 32% but if I was picking nits then I'd have the second tank full of 40%. Don't believe I'd gain anything.

I would just use 32% for both.

Dove a week at Bonaire a couple of years ago at the Habitat, and all the tanks were filled 32%, and some folks dove 4-5 times a day. Did not seem to be an issue.

One day of diving? Then it doesn't matter, use 32% for both, or as you say.

Repetitive days of diving, with perhaps a third or fourth dive later that day/night - I'd use 32% and 40%.

Are you sure that your dive will go. I fill my tanks and then depending on weather the next dive may or may not be where I want to go. I also like to keep the PO2 at 1.3 or below. I am an old guy. So usually just have 31%. (Ask the shop for 30 and they usually give me 31 or 32). Covers me no matter where the boat goes.

It depends on what is available. Some places only mix 32%. Some only mix 32% or 36%.

If any mix is available, then I'd get best mix for the planned depth. If not, then I'll take best available.

On a 2 tank day and the second dive is multi-level, less than 60 ft. max (typical shallow reef bimble 2nd dive), I would dive 32 on the deep dive, take a reasonable SI, dive air on the second, and splurge for an extra beer for myself and my dive buddy over dinner while discussing our fun day of diving. YMMV. :)

There may be more to consider. Without too many details about the dives it's hard to say. On my boat I keep an aluminum 80 full of air. If I didn't do that I would have both tanks the same mix in the event after the first dive I needed to go back down to retrieve something/someone whether it be an emergency or not. I wouldn't want to be handicapped by a MOD on my second tank. So since I have a tank with air, generally speaking I would be fine with different mixes in my other tanks for different depths.

Back
Top Bottom