2 weeks diving in Honduras and/or Belize = too many choices w/too little time-Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFdivers

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I recently found SB and have been busily trying to read up on posts regarding the Bay Islands and Belize. My wife and I are in the midst of planning a ~ 2 week dive trip to Honduras and/or Belize and the more we read the more we realize we can't do it all.

Our dream is to see a whale shark(s), so we're trying to plan a trip that gives us a the best shot at seeing one (or several! so long as we're talking about dreams I can be greedy, right?). At the same time we realize there is a very decent chance we won't see any whale sharks on this trip, so we'd like to fill it with some solid diving at prices that won't blow us out of the water.

With that in mind, I'd like to pose a few questions to those fortunate divers who have had experience in both the Bay Islands and Belize and can compare and contrast their experiences in each and hopefully be so kind as to point us in the right direction of some diving highlights. Any insights the group can lend would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to chime in on any/all of the following:

1. Our timing is a little flexible, but we probably can't leave for our trip until around May 18th or so. I've also read that it's best to look for Whale Sharks in the 10 days (after?) the full moon. Supposedly the full moons in May and June are May 9 and June 7. So that means we'd probably be too late for the full moon whale shark period in May. But then I've also read that it gets more rainy/choppy/lower visibility around the beginning of June. Do you think our chances of catching a whale shark are much better in the days following June 7 or would we be better off going for better dive conditions in late May and hoping we see a whale shark?

2. I've read the best places to seek whale sharks in the region are around Utila and the Gladden Spit. Not wanting to touch off a regional argument here, but do any of you have thoughts as to where the whale sharks may be more prevalent in late May - mid June?

My wife and I are most motivated by seeing sea life rather than rock formations, wrecks, caves or other technical dives. We were blown away by the biodiversity and number of large fish, sharks, rays, turtles, dolphins, etc. we saw in Rangiroa,
French Polynesia. Though the Blue Hole intrigues us, we're not sure we want to spring the extra $$$ to get out there this trip...we'd rather be in areas with rich reef life and lots of fishies. With that in mind -

3. In Belize we are considering trying a slightly less-touristed dive area like staying out on the Glover's Reef atoll or the Sapodilla Cayes. Plus that would keep us more towards the south and closer to whale sharks at the Gladden Split (or Honduras) Hoping that there is lots to see there and not too crowded? Or do you all think we'd really be missing out if we didn't make it up to Caye Caulker / Hol Chan and the Turneffe and Lighthouse atolls?

4. Any recommended dive operators (good equipment to rent, deep knowledge about dive sites, not too crowded, and fairly priced) to go after whale sharks at the Gladden Split or around Utila?

4. In Honduras, how would you characterize the differences in what you see diving Roatan or Utila? Are they significant?

We definitely would want to spend some time on Utila because of its whale shark reputation. The dolphin dive at Anthony's Key on Roatan also sounded pretty unique to us (and my wife loves dolphins) - I'm just wondering if there are significant differences otherwise which would mandate that we definitely need to spend time on both islands or whether the diving feel is relatively similar? I understand from what I've read that the topside feel of the Bay islands can be quite different.

We look forward to any comments / insights you can share!

Many thanks,

Noel

With a :search: on :sblogo: you'll have good advice on many of your questions, and there sure were a lot of them!

Your reference (in #4) to "good equipment to rent... to go after Whale Sharks" belies a basic misconception about the critters- it's a snorkeler's game, they don't like bubbles.

Whale Sharks? If that's what you need, Holbox seems to be the hot place right now. <- link

Roatan and Utila being different? Absolutely. Lots of information already posted on the Bay Islands forum.

You will also learn about: Traveling between the cays of Belize and the Bay Islands; the differences in diving between the South side versus N&W shores of Roatan; The AKR Dolphin show; The Blue Hole and whether it's "worth it"; Whale Sharks and the best guesses.

Think about it- everyone's "dream is to see Whale Sharks". Your post, showing just a few dives in your history, is often seen. Relax, do some diving. You'll see the cool stuff- your comment on being interested in critters over technical stuff is a great thing!

An example that many have shared~ You might pay for a Dolphin encounter or Shark dive and be very satisfied. Satisfied until the day, unexpectedly, in the wild, you see that very same critter. Just you and them. Then- you tell me which was better by 1000%.

Enjoy your dive on this amazing reef of Belize to the Bay Islands. The more you dive the more likely you are to find the Holy Grail.

Thanks! I'd been skimming the Bay Islands forum (as well as the Belize one) and had come up with some good info. I definitely need to dig into the existing posts some more and will do so over the coming days!

I guess what I was hoping for with my post is some anecdotes/opinions from those that have dived both the Bay Islands and Belize to help point us in the right direction for some diving highlights to hit on a two-week trip...so that we're better-oriented for deeper investigation in our favorite spot(s) the next time around :)

And believe me, I'm fully aware that the higher probability is that we won't run into any whale sharks on this trip. The video that Lemon took from his recent trip out to the Gladden Spit (catching a whale shark on his last day of diving) was very motivational though and makes me want to try for the best possible chance! See his April 16th 2009 post in "Underwater Videography".

I definitely get your point on organized wildlife encounters vs. random ones. We've done 2 dolphin encounters (neither with tanks on) and a shark feeding dive and enjoyed both a lot but the character of the interaction is definitely very different than a free dive.

Though we haven't been diving too long yet, we have been very fortunate with big (wild) life encounters. Many of which came from our time on Rangiroa in French Polynesia (HIGHLY recommend a trip there to any diver - it's much more reasonably priced than typical Bora Bora / Moorea trips and has LOADS of life) where we had great encounters with multiple dolphins, dancing manta rays, reef-gliding turtles, more black tips than one could count, grey reef sharks, and even a close (too close in my opinion!) encounter with a big, curious hammerhead that swam out of the blue solely to check out my wife, me, and the dive master!

We definitely enjoy seeing all the creatures (great and small) so I know we will enjoy our upcoming trip whether we're lucky enough to catch a whale shark or not. I just want to make sure we're aiming in the right direction!

Thanks again for any advice / opinions you care to share!

I would go to Holbox to snorkel with whale sharks....... go to Roatan to see smaller critters. :D
Check out some videos by Ronscuba here on SB. He has done Belize (by liveaboard) and Roatan (CCV resort) and has some really good examples of what you will see at each destination (with the exception of whale sharks).

RonScuba's videos on Vimeo

and

RonScuba's videos on Vimeo

robin:D

RoatanMan definitely got good advice. I would also suggest Scuba Diving Magazine they publish unbiased reviews and articles.

Safe Diving

Cyberdyver

RoatanMan definitely got good advice. I would also suggest Scuba Diving Magazine they publish unbiased reviews and articles.

Safe Diving

Cyberdyver

:rofl3:

Safe Diving

Cyberdyver

I hate to disagree with you, but Scuba Diving Magazine publishes articles based on who spends the most advertising dollars with them. It is a descent magazine, don't get me wrong, but "unbiased" it is NOT.

robin:D

you should try Undercurrent if you are looking for unbiased articles written by folks like yourself instead of shills for various locations. Robint is absolutely correct. And Roatan is fished out- has been for years.

I have been to Utila 6 times in the last 4 years and I am going again the end of April. I have never been dissapointed. I have seen Marlins, whalesharks, strange critters such as stargazers. Been in the water many times with dolphins. Like any dive location there is no guarentee of course. I would not waste the airfare to go to Roatan again. I was there the first time 14 years ago and thought the reefs did not look healthy. Went again two years ago and the reefs were shot. I am sure there a plenty of people on here that will want to flame me for making that statement but that is my opinion. I was not overly impressed with Belize either. The blue hole is just that. A hole! :wink: Holbox is supposedly the place to go to see whalesharks however the vis is not very good and even there, no guarentees. Last year I was diving on Utila and on the boat with me was a Genetics specilist from the University of Chicago. She was there to get DNA samples of whale sharks. During that week we jumped with 7 sharks. She told me that she had gone to Holbox the year before and did not see one shark. It is always a crap shoot when it comes to the big guys. I was in PNG this past November and I think I have been ruined for life when it comes to diving in that part of the world compared to the Carib. But I still enjoy traveling and diving in the Carib even if it is mostly fished out. One tip for Utila. If you dive there be sure you dive with an op that will take you out to the better dive sites. If you dive with one of the ops that is mostly into teaching classes you will most likely be dissapointed.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom