20,000 logged dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucebowker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Not trying to start a great debate here and I would suppose there might be a few who have logged that many dives but many claim they have and at first glance one might say "Wow, what a diver". But in doing some math things begin to look awry.

For sake of discussion let’s say the person is 55 years old. That would mean an average of 363.6 dives per year and that is from the day they were born. Let’s assume that this person did not dive the first 10 years, which is probably a very liberal estimate of when they did start. That would mean an average of 444.44 dives per year or about 1.2 per day. Each day after school for this person’s entire school life that had to make 1.2 dives.

Looking at a more realistic age of 15 when they started and that would be 500 dives per year or almost 1.4 dives per day and still going to school for a few more years. Miss just one day and that makes 2.8 the next day. Miss two days and one needs to do over 5 dives that day. Fly somewhere, be sick, visit DEMA for 3 or 4 days and the numbers start getting a bit out of reach.

There are people who claim they have over 10,000 dives on island X where they work full time and knowing that they have only been there 4 years, that means they are making 6.8 dives a day average and not missing one single day. Miss a day and they have to do over 13 dives the next day to make up those numbers.

There are divers who do 5 dives a day and that times 365 days is 1825 a year, if indeed they do 5 a day every single day. Even at that almost impossible rate it would take almost 11 years of not missing one single day to make 20,000 dives.

How realistic are these logged dives? Perhaps some people consider a dive of 10 minutes loggable (is that spelled correctly?)and if one stays down an hour that would be 6 dives????

When I started diving I contemplated not keeping a log. I did anyway. For me it is a wonderful way to keep track of my quantity of dives, my gear setups, weather, creatures, weighting, buddies and many more things. I have just over 200 hundred dives. Over time, people have asked me, "how many dives do you have?" My inclination like human nature is to answer with how many dives I felt I had made (my estimates were more based on the number of locations I had travelled to in a year than actually made) and especially if there is a gap of time the number seems to be higher than actual. While I have no idea of the veracity of the claim to 10K dives in 4 years time, I would doubt it unless this person was retentive about logging all their dives. Human nature is to exaggerate a bit.

Kinda' like Wilt Chamberlain stating in his autobiography that he had "had" 20,000 women. :)

(I've averaged 60 dives per year for the last twenty-two, 1360 total).

brucebowker:
Not trying to start a great debate here and I would suppose there might be a few who have logged that many dives but many claim they have and at first glance one might say "Wow, what a diver". But in doing some math things begin to look awry.

Bruce,

Well put, lad. Thanks for injecting a note of common sense! :wink:

Rob Davie

[font=바탕]Who cares? The most important factor is what quality of dives he had, not simply how many dives he had. That is, how much knowledge or skill is the most important fact. I am sick and tired of hearing that my local instructor keeps mentioning [/font]“[font=바탕]I have dived 15 years[/font]”[font=바탕] whenever he makes the sentence. It is his conjunction between his sentences. Here is the small city in the mid-west. The most active instructors used to make two ocean trips per year (about two weeks). Their most dives are at the local quarry (up to 60 ft). So go figure. I have learned the more valuable knowledge from OW, AOW, RESCUE, or DM at this board than him. Of course, I also met many dive experts in mid-west including this board. They have something in common. They are modest about their dives and experiences.[/font]

I musta missed something Bruce. Did someone claim to make that many dives? I have - in my dreams - but I don't think you can log those.

brucebowker:

Bruce,

Are you sure those braggarts didn't add a zero at the end of the number?

Oh I'll bet that it is possible if you are an instructor, wear a wrist mount computer in the pool and ow, and go by the history log. Those decents to the bottom of the pool can really add up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom