200' on air for 5 min bottom time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is clear is that you missed class the day they taught that it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. "Dive Master Candidate," huh? And people wonder why I get grouchy when random DMs try to "make sure the valve's on" just before I splash.

It's how I learn. Forgive me. Or is it that everyone on scubaboard.com was born with an innate knowldge of scuba diving and excellent at expressing themselves. But I digress...

Kirby was doing deep air 180+ foot dives at least as far back as 2007 when he was doing bounce dives on a single and found the body of another diver (who did a bounce dive to 200+ and died). By the time of his accident last year he'd been doing deep air for at least 5 years and had upgraded to doubles and staged decompression. The site he was at also requires some swimming to get to 180 (at least 10 mins) so he didn't descend too fast.

You seem to be attempting to prove that diving deep air is inappropriate based on a one off failure of a diver who had many, many successful deep air dives.

Diving deep on air does have increased risk when compared to the appropriate trimix blend at similar depths. But, the risks are manageable for a trained and disciplined diver: It is more planning, more work, and more discipline to execute deep air dives safely than many people are accustomed to in their style of diving. And, it doesn't fit the neat, standardized model of some of the agencies prevalent in North America. The insistence on trimix below 30 meters is fine agency dogma for those of you who are tied to a strict standardized protocol, but it doesn't reflect the reality that air can be safely dived much deeper than any of the agencies care to admit.

Kirby was doing deep air 180+ foot dives at least as far back as 2007 when he was doing bounce dives on a single and found the body of another diver (who did a bounce dive to 200+ and died). By the time of his accident last year he'd been doing deep air for at least 5 years and had upgraded to doubles and staged decompression. The site he was at also requires some swimming to get to 180 (at least 10 mins) so he didn't descend too fast.
I don't recall where I heard this, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that Kirby liked being narced and actively pursued that narced "buzz".

If it was just a bounce dive it would be quite a bit more easy. Otherwise you're going into deco. No way you can do anything there.

Back
Top Bottom