200 yard surface swim..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was told that for padi the 300 meter fins mask ans snorkle was new this year
im 48 and was in a class of 17 to 22 year olds /to heck i was going to do the mfs
lol i didnt want to look like a wimp
the other 3 in the class did 100% free style swim and they did it fast
made me look feable but i did it

They didnt give us an option... we were told to put on the mask, fins and snorkle and do 300 meters for padi. After that a 10 minute water tread (not float). I personally would have prefered the swim without the gear since I never really snorkled. We had to keep out head in the water and keep swimming. The darn snorkle kept flooding because it was a smaller pool and more people in it caused enough waves for water to get in (that and it wasnt on right :p). That and I didnt use defog so the I could barely see where I was going, on top of that I had to keep telling myself to take deep breathes because I wasnt familiar with breathing through a tube with LOTS of dead air. I would take the swim anyday.

ok a clarification
my last post said i didnt want to look like a wimp
what i didnt say was
look like a wimp toi the young hard body kids
me bad

hello mlody11 i see your in chicogo
check out lake wazee in black river falls wi
its i nice quarry with good visability
also welcom to the boards

Probably a silly question, but it seems appropriate to ask it here. Are you allowed to wear goggles during the swim portion of the test? I am a very strong swimmer and will most likely do the entire swim freestyle, but my eyes are very sensitive to chlorine. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks.

cal2632:
BrianS:
Yes, as long as you don't stop, you can do the 200m any way you wish. But if he can't tread, he will have a problem doing the 10 minute tread right after (or whenever they make you do it). Have him practice floating on his back, since I personally prefer this over treading myself.

Wow, they let you float instead of treading? I was the last to finish the swim, went right into the tread and every time I tried to rest by floating, I got hit with a water polo ball. My instructors took that tread requirement seriously!

They didn't let us float either! 10 minutes of treading them three more with our hands over our heads, that part was real tough. Then again this was 33 years ago. We had to swim 100 yards every night before pool instruction as well, not sure if I'd be up to the task today, wish I was in that shape again.

yes angel fire i was allowed to were goggles
ive had eye infections
so i asked the insturctor and was told i could
i quess it allso depends on whos giving the test
good luck

I did the 200yd swim very slowly on my back (I am very out of shape) and made it. I did use goggles to protect my eyes. I also alternated with the treading afterwards in an upright and floating position. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck!!

Thanks Hudson! I plan to do some diving on labor day weekend and maybe a bit more this year... not to mention a dive trip to Salvador in October :D. Lake wazee was actaully something I was looking into.

Anyway... yes you can wear goggles so many seasons, not to mention that you can wear contacts. If you do the snorkle test, you'll be wearing the mask anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom