2000 or 3000 lumen lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pongo1998

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking at the sola 2000 lumen video light for $449 or the 3000 lumen for $899. I know the difference is 1000 lumens but is it enough to justify the extra $350. How much more brightness would I get?

what type of camera are you using and where are you going to be diving? You need all the light you can get if you're shooting during the day, but at night it depends on how close you are and a bunch of other variables.... Need a bit more information before we can say if one is worth it over the other. If this is for gopro, one of the common things we are starting to see down in cave country is the Hog Morph canister light with two video heads on it which gives enough for night diving or cave diving.

LD-60V Video Light | Underwater Light Dude
this is the grand daddy btw

UW Light Dude LD-130V Video Light
with this being the mac daddy

I have the RX-100, I usually dive in the carribbean. I would say shooting most during the day and some at night.

unfortunately for use during the day you need something like the UWLD to really get much use out of it. I'm not sure about that specific camera, but for stills you would be better off with strobes, and for video you need a bit more oomph at night, but much more during the day. Unfortunately it isn't cheap to do properly.

Not really a comparison but ive got a sola 3000. Below about 12m it works well. In the tropics, in sunshine at 6-8m its invisible. You really do need all the light you can get.
If you're only going to use one light the difference between 2000-3000 may not be worth it, especially if you stay shallow as even the 3000 wont do a lot. More than 1 light or deeper etc then it might be.

I'm looking at the sola 2000 lumen video light for $449 or the 3000 lumen for $899. I know the difference is 1000 lumens but is it enough to justify the extra $350. How much more brightness would I get?
I myself would not worry about 1000 lumen price vs extra performance boost. Check my Vida they have 2000 max lumination

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom