2003 Wreck & Photo Mania?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-sass

Wreckmaniac Extrordinaire
Reaction score
It seems we need a thread to talk about next year's plans. Never one to be shy, I thought I'd start one!

Previously posted elsewhere by Natasha:

Seems from the few of you that responded, that Walter and Dee are 'big names' enough for you. So I won't recruite Steven Frink or Joel for this next trip. (Makes my job a lot eaiser)
I'm planning on Wreckmanias to be next June if that will work for Walter and Dee. I will be offering a trip to Cozumel for July 03 and another trip for September 03, probably to Bonaire, so June works well for Wreckmania.
And it's only 10 months away! Probably June14th to the 21st and have both Wreeckmania II, "Continues" and Photomania all at the same Key Largo resort.
Cavernmania could be an idea ahead of it's time. Not sure yet. But I might end up doing it a different month in 03.
Sound good?

So, what does everyone think? Personally, I'd prefer July for Mania trips, but if that's when our fellow Maniacs can do it, I'm sure Lyd and I can be flexible.

Let's get those grand ideas rolling!

Scuba-sass :)

Gee..I think I'm flattered. Or is that what scared feels like?!?

As for the possibility of the 'Mania trips, for me it will depend on costs and date. Our annual Roatan trip next year (still 2 places left!) is April 12-19. June may be a little soon, it's hard for Beast to get another week off work so soon afterwards and the dive funds are low about then.

What about October? :rolleyes: :D

I enjoyed Wreckmania and would love to participate in Wreckmania II and Wreckmania Continues. My schedule is pretty flexible right now, but we need to nail the dates down before December or there are no guarantees I'll be able to get the time off. June works for me, but if October is better for Dee, I'm happy with that as well. Water usually starts to cool down in November, October is usually still pretty warm.

It seems folks want to dive the Duane, Bibb and Spiegel Grove, so we're looking at the upper Keys as a destination. I'd recommend the Tavernier area, it's located midway between Key Largo and Islamorada so we'd be able to dive those three wrecks and the Eagle. I've yet to dive the SG, but I expect conditions to be similar to those on the other wrecks. On those wrecks, it is common to have strong currents, very much like those encountered during Wreckmania.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at Wreckmania II.

thanks for starting a new thread....

I too prefer the "mania" stuff to be in July (or even August).

As for the "instructors" or "leads" for the Wreckmanias or for Photomania... I'll go with the flow. Seeing Dee's pics I think she would be able to give great hints about composition, framing etc.

As for Cavernmania, if we're in the Keys, I think it would be transportation issue for for people to drive up to "cavern county", then drive back to the Keys to drop off rented cars and fly home. I still like the idea of learning the skills, but perhaps a separate trip.

I am very interested in attending next summer. This year was just too busy, moving to Virginia, the new house, new job (very little vacation), etc. We need to get dates set early so people can schedule. I assume there will be a Diverlink 2003 (I hope so anyway) to try to attend as well. I intend to be in Tavernier diving the Spiegel Grove in October, so an earlier trip would be good.

As many of you know, Lydia is a school teacher, so vacations have to be scheduled around her time off, which is generally as follows:

June, July and August.
(And to those of you who are thinking "Gee, I'd love to have the whole summer off!" - just think about having to spend the other 9 months with adolescents. Belive me, you have to love the job 'cause the pay certainly isn't a motivator!)

1 week at Thanksgiving.

2 weeks around Xmas and New Years.

2 weeks usually in the 2nd half of March.

Not that everyone should work around OUR schedule, by any means, but since we're planning this far in advance, I wanted to get my "votes" in.

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

Walter...have you noticed a specific time of the year when the currents are better than others? For instance in Cozumel, July and the first half of August is when the really weird currents (ie. downwellings, switching during a dive, super strong) happen. If the currents were a problem for W'mania I, maybe the next can be scheduled according to conditions.

I mentioned October with a smile but I realize that's not usually a good time for those restricted to the summer months, like Lydia. The later in the summer months, the better for us but either way we'll plan for it and see if it's possible.

Someone mentioned October. Isn't that smack dab in the middle of hurricane season?

Summer is good for me but I have to refine it even further, in case it matters. I can only travel (in ANY given month) in the middle of the month.

-becky

sea nmf once bubbled...
Someone mentioned October. Isn't that smack dab in the middle of hurricane season?

October is late in Hurricane season, July and August are the most active months, September storms are remembered for their power.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom