2005Jun26 ??Monterey,CA diver death??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davyJ

New
Reaction score
Sunday 2005Jun26. Can anybody confirm yet another possible death in the Carmel Bay just south of Monterey, Calif?

Monterey divers thought they heard marine radio squawk that a diver tangled in kelp had perished while diving the MontereyExpress dive boat. Rumor is that the MontereyExpress met emergency personnel at the WhalersCove boat ramp in Point Lobos State Park.

The diver is purportedly from the Sacramento Calif area. Andy's ScubaWorld of Sacramento advertised they booked the MontereyExpress during that interval.

Andy's ScubaWorld's advertised trips

davyJ:
Sunday 2005Jun26. Can anybody confirm yet another possible death in the Carmel Bay just south of Monterey, Calif?

Monterey divers thought they heard marine radio squawk that a diver tangled in kelp had perished while diving the MontereyExpress dive boat. Rumor is that the MontereyExpress met emergency personnel at the WhalersCove boat ramp in Point Lobos State Park.

The diver is purportedly from the Sacramento Calif area. Andy's ScubaWorld of Sacramento advertised they booked the MontereyExpress during that interval.

Andy's ScubaWorld's advertised trips

Let's dispell all rumors right now:

A 51 year old man suffered some sort of medical problem early into the first dive of the day. He was diving with his young teenage daughter who was unable to get him to the surface. She ascended and sounded the alarm to the boat crew. He was found on the bottom by another diver at appox 70fsw and brought to the surface. CPR was given continuously before meeting the Coast Guard at Pt Lobos for transport to the hospital. All efforts to revive him were unsucessful. He had apparently died before reaching the surface. Cause of death to be determined by autopsy. Efforts by the crew and passengers are to be commended.

Hello all,
I dive out of Andy's shop here in Sacramento and I will be seeing him in the next day or two, if there is any important info that might be of future help to divers, such as any lesson to be learned from this very unfortunate incident, I will post it as soon as I get it.
Dave

divenut2001:

A 51 year old man suffered some sort of medical problem early into the first dive of the day. He was diving with his young teenage daughter who was unable to get him to the surface. She ascended and sounded the alarm to the boat crew. He was found on the bottom by another diver at appox 70fsw and brought to the surface. CPR was given continuously before meeting the Coast Guard at Pt Lobos for transport to the hospital. All efforts to revive him were unsucessful. He had apparently died before reaching the surface. Cause of death to be determined by autopsy. Efforts by the crew and passengers are to be commended.
this is the most accurate info, as i have all of the facts, and i was asked to not disclose the victums name untill after tomorrow, he was a good guy and will be missed! oh and thank you so much for putting the rumors to end!!!

divenut2001:

A 51 year old man suffered some sort of medical problem early into the first dive of the day. He was diving with his young teenage daughter who was unable to get him to the surface. She ascended and sounded the alarm to the boat crew. He was found on the bottom by another diver at appox 70fsw and brought to the surface.

Not to try and 2nd guess, but just for my own knowlage.
could you not in most cases bring a diver to the surface by hitting there BC inflator ?

and that would be the first thing to do correct ?

michaelc:
could you not in most cases bring a diver to the surface by hitting there BC inflator ?

Yes, you are correct. That was attempted by the victim's young daughter who was his dive buddy and by the diver who brought him to the surface. All attempts failed for reasons we will never know because the BC and other gear was lost in the water during rescue attempts.

The diver that brought him to the surface used his own BC to get them both to the surface. Given her size and weight I don't think it would have been possible for the young girl to be able to do that. She was a brave young lady and was smart enough to know that she needed help and went and got it. Unfortunately it did not come in time.

michaelc:

Wouldn't ditching the weights on a diver in a 7 mil suit appropriate for that bay, or a dry suit, not bring him up...?

My sympathy to the daughter, who not only lost her dad, was there and involved when it happened. She must have felt so helpless, whatever the problem that prevented her from getting him up.

DandyDon:
Wouldn't ditching the weights on a diver in a 7 mil suit appropriate for that bay, or a dry suit, not bring him up...?

My sympathy to the daughter, who not only lost her dad, was there and involved when it happened. She must have felt so helpless, whatever the problem that prevented her from getting him up.

The rescuing diver tried to release his weights but could not, so rather than waste time trying to figure out an unfamiliar weight system he brought him to the surface as is.

:( I really hate hearing of these deaths. I hope these events teach us all that we are not in our eliment when we are in the water and need to be careful. A medical event might not be avoidable, but a medical event underwater is much more serious than on dry land.

My thoughts are with the family and friends.

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom