2008 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at the LSU Troy State game last night. For the first three quarters LSU was asleep at the wheel. With one minute and some odd seconds left to go in the third quarter it was Troy State 31, LSU 3. I was cold and disgusted and just about ready leave when LSU finally scored a touchdown so I decided to hang around a little longer. The come back was the largest in LSU history. They scored 37 points in 16 minutes to win 40 to 31.

I can't believe they let Troy get so far ahead. Glad LSU pulled out the win. I heard the weather was atrocious.

I didn't get to watch the LSU Troy game, but I thought LSU was going to loose. Still it was a huge leap for the Troy football program.

What about that Auburn Georgia game? Auburn really improved over its past sub-standard performances and I thought they might have been able to pull it out. They almost had a hell-mary endzone catch to win. Still Georgia played the better game.

Penalties were ridiculous. some really bad calls and missed calls.

Next week though is "the game". The IRON BOWL.

2008 NCAA Football Rankings - Week 13 (Nov. 23)

AP Top 25
1. Alabama (63) 11-0 1,622
2. Florida (2) 10-1 1,512
3. Oklahoma 10-1 1,486
4. Texas 10-1 1,482
5. USC 9-1 1,352
6. Penn State 11-1 1,238
7. Texas Tech 10-1 1,212
8. Utah 12-0 1,206
9. Boise State 11-0 1,064
10. Ohio State 10-2 1,043
11. Oklahoma State 9-2 997
12. Missouri 9-2 917
13. Georgia 9-2 874
14. TCU 10-2 750
15. Ball State 11-0 731
16. Cincinnati 9-2 640
17. Oregon State 8-3 604
18. Georgia Tech 8-3 339
19. Oregon 8-3 320
20. Boston College 8-3 309
20. Brigham Young 10-2 309
22. Michigan State 9-3 274
23. Florida State 8-3 214
24. Northwestern 9-3 145
25. Mississippi 7-4 127

Dropped From Rankings
LSU 18, Pittsburgh 20, Maryland 22, Miami (FL) 23, North Carolina 25.

BCS Standings
1. Alabama 11-0
2. Texas 10-1
3. Oklahoma 10-1
4. Florida 10-1
5. USC 9-1
6. Utah 12-0
7. Texas Tech 10-1
8. Penn State 11-1
9. Boise State 11-0
10. Ohio State 10-2
11. Georgia 9-2
12. Oklahoma State 9-2
13. Missouri 9-2
14. TCU 10-2
15. Ball State 11-0
16. Cincinnati 9-2
17. Oregon State 8-3
18. BYU 10-2
19. Michigan State 9-3
20. Florida State 8-3
21. Boston College 8-3
22. Georgia Tech 8-3
23. Oregon 8-3
24. Northwestern 9-3
25. Pitt 7-3

Where is Vandy at now?

are all the Tennessee fans happy now that Fulmer is leaving? or are they still just whinning?

Vandy isn't ranked right now... they've had too many losses. They were ranked back in the first few games of the season.

i was hoping though that they'd beat the VOLS though. They did a couple years ago.

Yea... I watched the game..I had high hopes for Vandy. This was the first time since 1984 they were favored over the Vols. I thought the QB for Vandy looked like a nervous wreck the whole game. I think he siked himself out.

I think Vandy is still in the running for a bowl game right?

yes... they are 6-5 for the season. technically they are in the running for a bowl.

However, for them to get an invite might not happen. Bowl games are no longer about the game/competition but about the sponsorship and ticket sales, etc. So bowls want teams in them that they will be able to sell out the stadium to. Vandy doesn't have the biggest record of fan attendence at home games even and it will be likely viewed they might have a poor attendence at a bowl game.

one possibility is the Music City Bowl in Nashville. It usually takes one of the lower ranked bowl elligble SEC teams. This year Alabama and will go to a higher bowl as will Georgia, and Florida.

Music City will then look at Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi or LSU. They tend to try to get a team that is closer to draw in a crowd that can drive easily to the game since it gets stuck with Dec30 and not a weekend game and people have to work that day. Vandy is the closest, of the above listed teams but that doesn't mean they'll choose them.

Although Vandy is in Nashville, Kentucky is the next closes team that would fit their "bill" and Kentucky would draw more fans in than Vandy. (plus the city would get a bigger economic impact as many of them would stay the weekend in city hotels instead of just going home like locals would).

Bowl organizers and host cities don't want a "hometown crowd" when they can get tourist dollars.

Other options Vandy might get is the Liberty Bowl (Memphis), the Independence Bowl (Shreveport), or maybe the PapaJohn Bowl (Legion Field in B'ham). Papajohn Bowl just added back a SEC team and now takes the lowest ranked SEC team that is bowl elligble.

EDIT: A quick search of bowl predictions has Vandy predicted to goto the Liberty Bowl (memphis)
by both ESPN and Sporsline
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowlprojection
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

are all the Tennessee fans happy now that Fulmer is leaving? or are they still just whinning?

Some are some aren't. Don't know many that are whining, just glad to get a cruddy season over with and see what shakes out for the coming years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom