2009 Avalon Harbor Underwater Cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobJoubert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What is the "location of choice" to dive from for the Avalon Harbor Underwater Cleanup? Last year I did the dive from the Catalina landing and we didn't find much at all.

And is anyone looking for a dive buddy for this event?

Last edited:
It seemed there was relatively little that was found last year as I remember it. Now I could attribute it to one of two things... (1) the boaters and other visitors in the harbor didn't drop much in the water OR (2) the vis was less than 6" last year, and who could see anything to bring up?

Now I'm betting that this year the vis will be markedly improved and, as usual, a good time will be had by all.

I think the vis last year was a major factor last year. Even if people are dropping less into the harbor, there is always more from prior years that gets stirred up by storms. See you all there!

I think the vis last year was a major factor last year. Even if people are dropping less into the harbor, there is always more from prior years that gets stirred up by storms. See you all there!

Ah, kelpmermaid, my options were offered in jest! I thought you knew me better than that.

Well, hope does spring eternal when it comes to a reduction in the quantity of trash. I am sure that there will be more than enough to go around.

If it'll make you all feel more productive, just let me know where you want to work & I'll go dump a bunch of garbage there the night before... you know, just to help out.

You will find the majority of trash either under the pier (usually off limits to divers) or centered between mooring anchors. Your best bet I would think is off the beach on the west of the main pier. The moorings are a far swim from any of the approved departure points so good luck getting out to the farther moorings with out a scooter and doubles.

True, there is a lot of traffic around Green Pier, but prize "finds" are located from each site. Amazing things seem to fall off of boats -- makes me wonder what goes on out there. People drop things as they transfer from dinghy or shore boat to their own vessel. Parties happen, and drinks end up... in the drink. Remember last year's pigeon feet?!

True, there is a lot of traffic around Green Pier, but prize "finds" are located from each site. Amazing things seem to fall off of boats -- makes me wonder what goes on out there. People drop things as they transfer from dinghy or shore boat to their own vessel. Parties happen, and drinks end up... in the drink. Remember last year's pigeon feet?!

People too if I am any fair representative of the general boat-going partying public :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom