200BAR vs 300BAR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucladiver

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
The new reg I ordered from DiveINN (Mares MR12 Epos) came in 200BAR. I have just been made aware that a 300BAR is out there and is probably better? Is this true? What's the difference between the two? Can reg be converted from 200BAR to 300BAR? (ie: is it just the connection or does the reg have to be suited for it as well?) I'm looking to get a tank soon and want to make sure I get one with the right valve. Would it be worth it to get one with a 300BAR valve and convert my reg? Thanks!

Search the tank section on DIN and there's a lot of information there on the different BAR ratings.

The Reader's Digest version is that 300 BAR DIN valves have more, and therefore deeper threads for a stronger connection to withstand the greater pressure.

So a 300 BAR regulator will fit both 200 and 300 BAR valves.

A 200 BAR regulator will fit only 200 BAR valves.

Just about all regulators made today have a a 300 BAR option available.

And the bottom line is that the odds are just about even that you will in fact get a regulator with a 300 BAR DIN connection, since manufacturers don’t appear to mess with 200 BAR very much these days.

Roak

Originally posted by ucladiver
Hey Guys,
The new reg I ordered from DiveINN (Mares MR12 Epos) came in 200BAR. I have just been made aware that a 300BAR is out there and is probably better? Is this true? What's the difference between the two? Can reg be converted from 200BAR to 300BAR? (ie: is it just the connection or does the reg have to be suited for it as well?) I'm looking to get a tank soon and want to make sure I get one with the right valve. Would it be worth it to get one with a 300BAR valve and convert my reg? Thanks!

I like 300 BAR for the better connection, not so I can run extreme pressures.

Yes, regs can easily be converted from 200 BAR to 300 BAR. It takes about two minutes. No worries here.

I would say get a 300 BAR valve and convert your reg to 300 BAR (about $40? or so for the conversion). However, if you DON'T plan on running higher pressures, and DO plan on using a yoke reg, then you can stay with the 200 BAR valve and use an insert that enables you to use a yoke reg on a 200 DIN valve (I don't think you want to do that).

Technical/overhead divers prefer the 300DIN due to it's better connection and higher pressure tolerances (to some degree :wink:)

Good luck.

Mike

PS. Make sure you get a valve that is modular (ie. that can be "adapted" to an H-valve or manifold). Halcyon, Sea Elite, Scuba Pro, and Dive Rite are the valves of choice, IMO.

Yes, Diveinn does sell 200bar regs. I bought a scubapro that was 200bar from them.

I really think you would prefer the 300bar. They can be used on both 200bar and 300bar manifolds. The threads are deeper. I'd ship it back and order the 300bar.

Why pay $40 for a conversion when you can get it for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom