2010 Fitness Exercise Challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many of you would characterize your activity as being primarily focused on:

1. Losing weight
  2. Getting better at a specific activity (e.g. cardio)
  3. Just getting more active
  4. Trying to find "Functional Fitness"
  5. Some combination of above or other (please explain)

Hi Bob,

I'll have to go with

4 - strength
2 - cardio

Did a nice leg work out in the gym on last Friday, off on sat, long kick on sunday during a 126 minute dive.

Came home and woke up with my back out in a way I haven't experienced. Can't remember hurting it. Chiropractor visits every day this week. After two visits I can breath without much pain, I am hoping for light walking tomorrow & with luck back to diving by Fri & Sat :).

This weeks workouts will have to suffer a bit. There is always next week though :).

Last edited:
Been avoiding these questions as I haven't been working out much the past couple weeks. Have been so busy with life that the dogs are suffering too with not going to the park.
Finally, last night, I carved out some time between work and an evening commitment to go to the park. Since it's been so long, I focused on just "doing." I went with a 2:1 run:walk to ease back into the program and not get discouraged. Was able to get in 4700 steps which equals to just over 2 miles. Pups got to run. We all came home happy.

bob:
How many of you would characterize your activity as being primarily focused on:
Losing weight
Getting better at a specific activity (e.g. cardio)
Just getting more active
Trying to find "Functional Fitness"
Some combination of above or other (please explain)

I think I am looking for all of the above. Yes, I want to lose weight, but my bigger goal is to get fit, losing weight I feel, should be one of the benefits of getting more active. I would like to get better at running, and not sure what the next step would be. Not sure what Functional Fitness is, I would assume it is fitness that is geared toward my lifestyle, and exercise that aims at improving said activities. For me that would be diving, kayaking, and running.
As Sarita and Bob pointed out, eating changes would be a big benefit of my lifestyle change. So, I am again looking at ways to change my eating habits. Currently reading "the Makers Diet," a book on food choices that are bible based. Hmmm.. as it was explained to me a long time ago, it's eating more of what God made, the way God made it. Potatoes is good. French fries isn't. Wondering how chocolate will fit into it?:D

Happy Friday! I got sidetracked after Tuesday. Friday evening run 2.9 miles through Mountain Lake and the Presidio. Lovely trails up there ... :) Tomorrow a long-ish bike ride and more running on Sunday.

Happy Saturday!!!

Saturday 4/17 - 12 mile cycling ride through Golden Gate Park and along the oceanfront. It is a lovely freaking day out there so I didn't want to come inside. Alas. I think the hubby and I are finally going to go buy him some cycling shoes today. Woot!

Remote dive expedition Sri Lanka: For the first three days, haul full load of AL80 doubles, AL63 & AL80 deco tanks, 50 meter distance in sand to boat dock, in 33deg C/92 F w/ high humidity (hired extra dive sherpas to load gear since then). Front squat power lift-up doubles onto boat gunwale to kit up --while maintaining boat's balance to prevent tipping over; full kit-up with AL63 & AL80 deco bottles descending pulling hand-over-hand on anchor/grapple hook downline against two knot current for the past week (and continuing thru this week)-- took approximately 4 min to haul self down to 48m/160' in the lee of the wreck (HMS Hermes Aircraft Carrier) . . . [Lat-Pull Downs, Pull-ups/Chin-ups, Row-machine and a simple jungle gym rope climb are all great prep exercises]

I went diving. Then drank rum.

20 mile bike ride.... great time to discuss bids we've made on houses this morning and some scenarios to find the home we want.

That's awesome WB. Where are you looking at moving to? Must be pretty exciting!

I went diving. Then drank rum.

Jenny - I would freaking love that day!

Sunday 4/18 - 3 mile walk this morning. This evening, my first 4 mile run. It was a bit uncomfortable, but we managed through. I am ravenous now though!

my chiropractor worked his magic in time for a stellar vis weekend! Did Friday in a single tank to ease the back in - it' was fine ;-).

Did my 1st boat dives in doubles saw so many seals/sea lions then today one of our amazing divers led a long kick a little ways outside the cove (it's exciting to be exploring new terrain). The kelp forests were exquisite.

Back into the gym this week.

Back
Top Bottom