2011-09-16 Zirja Croatia, Woman dies in SCUBA accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinskarin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I only got a Swedish news paper as source right now, could not find it in english so far, translated the article tho.

Article here

A 29-year old Swedish woman died at wednesday in a diving accident i Croatia.

The woman was living in southern Sweden.

The woman was at wednesday performing a dive nea Zirja in Croatia. She was together with five other divers when the accident happened.

When the group was ascending from 70 meetres of depth something happened. According to Croatian media the woman might have ascended to fast and got affected by diver sicknes.

The Swedish woman was threatened by oxygen directly at the place - but her life could not be saved. She died on the way to hospital.

- We have got to know that a Swedish woman in the 30:s has died there, sais Camilla Åkersson-Lindblom on the Swedish foreign office press service.

The 29-year old woman had double citicenship, but are according to the Swedish foreign office living in Southern Sweden. Her closest family lives in Croatia.

According to Croatian media the woman had divers certification.

Jeez...seems like another death with no good reason...starting to rethink this whole diving thing...well at least at depths greater than two hundred feet

I was there last season. Lovely diving, we did a wreck that was in 230ft.

Do you have any other links? I cant find any info on the dive shop or the diver.

Do you have any other links? I cant find any info on the dive shop or the diver.

Found some just now from a Croatian english speaking news paper.

Link

A diver from Sweden has died in Croatia this morning (Weds) when he tried to come back up from a depth of 70 metres in the Adriatic.

The 29-year-old woman named only as J.S. was diving with a group of five other divers close to the remote island of Zirje in the central Adriatic.

The dive was organised by Najada diving centre from the nearby island of Murter.

Croatian Ministry of the Sea has announced the Swedish woman was well trained for diving.

Tabloid 24 Sata has reported the reason for the death could be that the woman resurfaced too fast.

Colleagues have tried to reanimate the 29-year-old with oxygen. She died on her way to a regional hospital in the city of Sibenik.

A lot of European divers come to dive in the Croatian part of the Adriatic because of great underwater visibility and the natural richness and beauty of the shore with over 1,000 islands.

That's in the range of technical diving and should involve trimix and deco stops. There's not much detail provided but not that relevant to recreational diving.

Adam

That's in the range of technical diving and should involve trimix and deco stops. There's not much detail provided but not that relevant to recreational diving.

Adam

The dive OP markets them selfs as a Technical dive OP at their home page so it is likely it was a Technical dive yes.

I'm really sorry to hear about this accident.
I travel to Croatia quite often and I can say it's not unusual to dive to 55-60 meters on air in the Adriatic (which is a bad idea in my opinion but until I can stop at 40 meters I can't do anything with those who prefer deep air diving). There are many locations where they dive to extreme depths for wrecks or walls, Zirje has a steep wall too. Although I couldn't find any source which says it wasn't a technical dive I suppose they didn't dive on trimix- many dive centers offer services to technical divers but they will take to the deep spots the recreational divers too. There are several hyperbaric chambers in Croatia (because of the deep air dives sadly they have many patients) but in this case if this woman didn't have enough air for the decompression she had to be in serious condition after a 70 meters deep dive.

I'm really sorry to hear about this accident.
I travel to Croatia quite often and I can say it's not unusual to dive to 55-60 meters on air in the Adriatic (which is a bad idea in my opinion but until I can stop at 40 meters I can't do anything with those who prefer deep air diving). There are many locations where they dive to extreme depths for wrecks or walls, Zirje has a steep wall too. Although I couldn't find any source which says it wasn't a technical dive I suppose they didn't dive on trimix- many dive centers offer services to technical divers but they will take to the deep spots the recreational divers too. There are several hyperbaric chambers in Croatia (because of the deep air dives sadly they have many patients) but in this case if this woman didn't have enough air for the decompression she had to be in serious condition after a 70 meters deep dive.

I found some info on a Swesish board saying that in a Croatian article it said that she was Tri-mix certified. Cannot find the info now tho.

This still does not exclude the possibility it was a deep air dive tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom