2011 Mini-Season for Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we were down in the Keys last month, I heard a DM and Instructor on our boat advising a couple not to come dive during the mini-season. I only caught part of the conversation, but they were laying out the reasons Jax cited almost word for word.

2 lobster divers near Jupiter Inlet missing 90 minutes found safe

By Lamaur Stancil
Posted July 27, 2011 at 4:54 p.m.

MARTIN COUNTY — Two lobster divers who had been separated from their boat for more than 90 minutes were picked up by a good Samaritan on Wednesday afternoon, the Coast Guard said.

The two men, whose names were not released, had gone diving about 4 miles east of the Jupiter Inlet about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Coast Guard officials said. About 1:30 p.m., the Coast Guard was notified the men had gone missing. Officials for the federal agency said it sent a couple of boats and an aircraft to the area for the search.

Shortly after 3 p.m., searchers were notified the men had been picked up by another boat and were in good condition.

Pampano Beach diver has not been found yet, though. :depressed:

:confused:

Transportation to/from Florida - $300
Dive boat x 2 days - $90
Accommodations 3 nights - $300
Food on the road - $150
Snacks, cooler, ice, beer, etc. - $100

How much were those lobster, again???? :wink:

Dang! I was thinking about the divers who live locally and just show up and do some lobster hunting. But dang!

Lobsters 2
Scuba Divers 0

We usually dive the SPAS and they are great during mini season. No hunters at these reefs, the only thing you have to worry about is driving the boat to and from. Beware of Captain Budweiser he/she is everywhere!!

We passed this year cause the weather is ugly.

Dang! I was thinking about the divers who live locally and just show up and do some lobster hunting. But dang!

The local guys at least have some diving practice in, but I'm sure there are some that just decide to 'get around' to diving again.

We usually dive the SPAS and they are great during mini season. No hunters at these reefs, the only thing you have to worry about is driving the boat to and from. Beware of Captain Budweiser he/she is everywhere!!

We passed this year cause the weather is ugly.

smart move! it was damn ugly out there in the AM! few boats in my vicinity! not exactly a family day on the water lobstering in monroe county. more of the same tomorrow,,,,

reefman
key largo

I was seriously considering making a trip down for the mini-season but decided against it in favor of some other birthday options. Seems like it might be a bit crowded on boats and such though it sounds like a lot of folks are diving off private boats...

Sad to see the deaths over something so silly as a lobster.

I just got home yesterday from Sugarloaf Key. We spent 5 days there diving and fishing and planned our trip to be leaving at the time the mini-season crowd was arriving. Mini-season in the Keys reminds me of a NASCAR infield. Lots of drunks, and WAY TOO many people and boats fighting for the same space. For me, it's something to be avoided at all costs.

The best place to spend mini-season is Joe's Stone Crab

Stone crab is way better than lobster anyway, IMO. :D
Yes, and it was only a block from my apartment in Chicago, so, a lot more convenient.

The local guys at least have some diving practice in, but I'm sure there are some that just decide to 'get around' to diving again.
Some are not even certified. They borrow some gear and filled tanks thinking it looks easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom