2023 Atlantic-Caribbean ocean temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmorgan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So much attention is being paid to this summer’s reported spike in water temperatures. If there is actually a 3-5f spike, that’s a tragedy In the making. If it’s bad information it would be useful to know. Divers have excellent information on their wrists, and it would be interesting (to me, anyway) to know what folks are seeing, and where. To keep it clear and simple, I propose something minimalist, like “Bonaire, July 15, 85.1f” (or ”29.5c”).

Grand Cayman 87 F, 7/2/23, No thermacline

I hate to bring this up but I have found that my computer on my wrist consistently tells me my wrist is 79-82 F all year round on all dives to rec depths in Cozumel. It shows a bit warmer when I first go in.

My wife and I just got back from Roatan last week after spending a month there. The water temps were, according to my computer, consistently 81°-82° the entire time we were there. By comparison, we were there in 2021 the last week of April thru the first week of May and the temps were 80°-81°. So it doesn't appear to me that the water temps at Roatan have spiked this year and only slightly higher, as would be expected, in June-July this year than in April-May 2 years ago.

So much attention is being paid to this summer’s reported spike in water temperatures. If there is actually a 3-5f spike, that’s a tragedy In the making. If it’s bad information it would be useful to know. Divers have excellent information on their wrists, and it would be interesting (to me, anyway) to know what folks are seeing, and where. To keep it clear and simple, I propose something minimalist, like “Bonaire, July 15, 85.1f” (or ”29.5c”).
"Bad information"? Are you implying that NOAA's sea surface monitoring program is somehow junk?
You can see the 2C anomaly in the USA southeast from space. Current Operational SST Anomaly Charts - OSPO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom