2023 Light Travel Regulator Recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for recs for travel good budget friendly regulator to use when traveling to resorts / liveaboards for maybe 10 to 20 days per year.
Some considerations below. Any referrals / recs appreciated!
Was hoping to find something well under $1000 but maybe in these days of inflation that is not possible.
  1. Safe / reliable
  2. Light for Travel friendly
  3. Easy to maintain
  4. Well known brand that will be easy to get serviced / supported in both USA and international
  5. Budget is a consideration, but not sole factor.
  6. Mostly for touristy tropical dive locals (Caribbean, SE Asia, Red Sea, etc) but could also handle California type diving or even the Socorros but maybe in those cases you rent if something more is needed.
  7. Features and flexibility appropriate for non technical diver but expandable for example to get integrated air dive computer.
  8. Whether servicing is a consideration. Seems for example some regs now have 3 year intervals. Does that save money in long term?
Nice to please kindly keep focused on topic. Hope this can benefit others also.

The AL Helix is the descendent of the Core Supreme, at least in NA, the Core is replaced with the Helix. It is a fine and very small first stage with a long history of good service even under demanding conditions, enviro sealed and has ACD. Same thing as the Core with a name change and new graphics, ho, hum.

But there is another, the Scubapro Mark 2 Evo with the S270, this first stage is is an unbalanced piston, possibly the most reliable first stage ever made or certainly in the running with only one moving part and it too is relatively small and light. The S270 is balanced therefore essentially making up for the Mk 2 not being balanced. No ACD and it does not need enviro sealing, just rinse it after a day of diving. Next day repeat.

1. Atomic Z2/Z3 sealed first stage

2. Scubapro MK11/C370

3. Scubapro Mk19/G260

4. Zeagle F8

5. Zeagle ONYX II (Great value and great reg for the price)

This is literally what the Aqualung Mikron was made for.

I'd rather have a balanced diaphragm first stage than the unbalanced piston some have recommended above.

I think the OP asked for budget friendly:popcorn:.

Mikron I can see, good suggestion, but a Mk 19 Evo with G260s? Not light, not cheap and you know, as I get older and escape death one more time I am thinking simple and reliable is sometimes more important than fancy.

The Mikron has been replaced by the Helix Compact, another color and graphics change.

I think the Aqualung Helix is a great balance of price/weight/performance/features. It incorporates the time-tested diaphragm first stage with an Apeks-style balanced second stage. Slightly larger than the Mikron/Helix Compact second stage but a better design IMO. About the same weight.

DGX Gears D6. Complete package $449.
Reliable. Perfect for the vacation dive count you listed.

Looking for recs for travel good budget friendly regulator to use when traveling to resorts / liveaboards for maybe 10 to 20 days per year.
Some considerations below. Any referrals / recs appreciated!
Was hoping to find something well under $1000 but maybe in these days of inflation that is not possible.
  1. Safe / reliable
  2. Light for Travel friendly
  3. Easy to maintain
  4. Well known brand that will be easy to get serviced / supported in both USA and international
  5. Budget is a consideration, but not sole factor.
  6. Mostly for touristy tropical dive locals (Caribbean, SE Asia, Red Sea, etc) but could also handle California type diving or even the Socorros but maybe in those cases you rent if something more is needed.
  7. Features and flexibility appropriate for non technical diver but expandable for example to get integrated air dive computer.
  8. Whether servicing is a consideration. Seems for example some regs now have 3 year intervals. Does that save money in long term?
Nice to please kindly keep focused on topic. Hope this can benefit others also.

Coming from another fellow person that travels all over the world I would base your selection on your budget and serviceability. Lets be honest the whole light weight travel reg thing is just a marketing/sales gimmick from the diving industry to bring another reg to the market and try and boost sales. Yeah you may save 500gr. but really your going on holiday with diving gear and chances are your putting your regs in a roller carry on bag anyways. This is the beauty about reg you can put them in your carry on so I dont really know why everyone is so worried about reg weight especially for recreation diving (for some of my expedition diving I travel with 12 regs). I don't think 500gr. is going to make or break your trip. What will is if you buy some odd ball super platicy "travel reg" and you end up on in the middle off the Philippines and with a broken reg and no one has spare parts for it.

If I was in your shoes I would be looking at SP or Apeks/AL. I have been to many many many places around the world and I have never not seen parts for SP or Apeks available for there more common regs (think MK series, G & S series, DS/US series XTX series) Additionally I would say these are the most common regs other people have as well so high chances someone on the boat some spare parts as well. I know personally I always travel with multiple spare Apeks parts and have save a couple regs in the past. These are also some of the highest performing most reliable regs on the market and you should be able to pick up a set under $1000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom