20th Anniversary trip suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello-

My husband and I are planning or 29th anniversary in December 2017.
We are AOW with about 120 dives. We are not big thrill divers and don't like shark dives or other chumming experience dives. We like walls, and coral gardens; small critters for me. Big peligics for him. We have mostly dived in the carribean but would like something new. Think Roatan West End type place but not in the carribean.

What I'd like is a small island walking distance to dive shop with small boats. A small boutique resort or hotel with no more that 25 rooms. Walking distance to a cute town. 2 tank boat dives in the morning and a house reef in the afternoon. I'm
A chef so I'd like some decent food, but can be simple.

I'd like to get my nitrox certificate while there.
A direct flight from SFO and a budgeting about 5k including flight. No more than 8 days.

Thanks in advance

Hello-

My husband and I are planning or 29th anniversary in December 2017.
We are AOW with about 120 dives. We are not big thrill divers and don't like shark dives or other chumming experience dives. We like walls, and coral gardens; small critters for me. Big peligics for him. We have mostly dived in the carribean but would like something new. Think Roatan West End type place but not in the carribean.

What I'd like is a small island walking distance to dive shop with small boats. A small boutique resort or hotel with no more that 25 rooms. Walking distance to a cute town. 2 tank boat dives in the morning and a house reef in the afternoon. I'm
A chef so I'd like some decent food, but can be simple.

I'd like to get my nitrox certificate while there.
A direct flight from SFO and a budgeting about 5k including flight. No more than 8 days.

Thanks in advance
Let me know when you find this place, I'd like to try it out too

You should get your nitrox cert online eLearning and visit to LDS rather than wasting your vacation doing it

Hi, there.

I've been mulling your post over and haven't responded because I'm having trouble fitting all of your preferences. Is anything negotiable/changeable such as duration of trip or within direct flight of SFO? There were also some ideas that came up as a good option but the direct flight and duration had me hung up so I didn't respond.

Happy early anniversary!

Cayman or LC are two to consider.

Costa Rica (Flamingo) and Panama (contradora) Pacific side too!

I agree with above, best choices would be Grand Cayman East End or Little Cayman. I have experience for both, let us know if this is still in your differential.

Yeah, this is a tough one. Cute towns and direct flights from SFO don't usually go hand-in-hand. The Sea of Cortez has a nice mix of small creatures and pelagics, but I'm not sure about cute towns or house reefs. I did it by liveaboard a few years ago and it was excellent. Philippines may be an option, as I know there are resorts that can arrange direct transfers from Manila. Haven't been there myself.

If you don't rule out the Caribbean, check out Anse Chastanet on St. Lucia. I stayed at another resort there several years ago and really enjoyed the experience. If I went back, AC would be my choice as it has a house reef and better diving than where I was in the north. Lots to do on St. Lucia in addition to the diving.

Go to Fiji or Palau. Lots of resorts to choose from, all price ranges.

I agree. Fiji would be a good choice. Not sure what the flight schedule is from SFO but they have easy non-stops from LAX. Get on the plane at night and wake up in Fiji.

Ash

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom