20th Annual Oceanwatch Reef Sweep & Beach Cleanup - June 14, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tltracy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well folks, it's that time of year again and Oceanwatch Foundation (Ocean Watch Foundation, Inc.) is having their 20th Annual Reef Sweep and Beach Cleanup on Saturday, June 14, 2008, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon (http://oceanwatch.org/images/Links/OceanWatchFlyer2008FINAL.pdf) with the volunteer appreciation party :partytime: afterwards from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Briny Riverfront Pub, 305 S. Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale. (Briny Riverfront | Briny Irish Pub | Fort Lauderdale Bar & Restaurant). :balloon

Get involved and help make a difference by cleaning our beaches and reefs. Free event which qualifies for community service hours.

BEACH WALKERS AND DIVERS NEEDED. Civic organizations, volunteer groups, school groups, and environmentally concerned individuals are encouraged to participate. Community service hours available for all volunteers. Rain or Shine show up and help cleanup our precious beaches and reefs. Great for all ages.

:walksmil: BEACH CLEANUP SITES: Trash bags and disposable gloves will be provided at each site. Bring your own heavier work/garden gloves, if you prefer.
1. Deerfield Beach at Tiki Hut - across from the fire station
2. Pompano Beach at the Pier, Just South First Pavilion
3. Lauderdale-by-the-Sea at the Pier
4. Fort Lauderdale at Birch State Park
5. John U. Lloyd Beach State Park, Dania
6. North Beach Park at Sheridan St, Hollywood
7. Hollywood Beach at the Bandshell

:scubadive SHORE DIVING & SNORKELING :snorkels::
1. Pompano Beach Fishing Pier
2. Deerfield Beach Fishing Pier

PIER DIVER INSTRUCTIONS - WAIVERS - C CARDS - CHECK-IN - TOOLS - CLEAN UP - CHECK OUT - PICK UP C-CARD
1. Please bring completed REEF SWEEP DIVER WAIVER FORMS to help expedite checking in. Forms can also be filled out at check in day of the dive. Please email me at tltracy@yahoo.com for a copy of the Release (or see post #3 and print off) that you can bring with you to the Pier to expedite the processing.
2. Check in will open at 8:00 a.m. at the Piers. Dive briefing and dive plan discussion will be at 8:30 a.m. Diving begins at 9:00 a.m.
3. Divers must be certified and surrender their c-cards at check in at the PIER dive sites. Your C-Card will be returned to you when you sign back in after you have finished your dive. All divers must return to check in no later than 12:00 noon, so please head back to shore at 11:30 a.m. Shortly after 12:00 noon, we will begin calling the emergency contact number of any unaccounted for diver.
4. Fisherman will resume fishing at 12:00 noon.
5. Please do not expect to have free parking. We were unable to secure it this year.
6. We will supply divers with sea snips if you like, however, please bring heavier cutting tools such as heavy scissors, sheers, wire cutters, and utility cutters to cut the thick bundles of monofilament you will encounter. Your safety is our top priority so please be careful.

:scubadive CHARTER BOAT DIVING: Morning Dive - Day of Event Only
1. “AMERICAN DREAM” - Leaving from Central Broward - Located off the 17th St Causeway at Pier 66 marina just over Intracoastal - 954-577-0338 or 954-577-0338
2. “DIVERSITY” - Leaving from Boca Raton, Palm Beach County 561-368-9952
3. “LADY GO DIVER” - Leaving from North Broward - Boat leaves from Riverview Park North side of Hillsboro Blvd just before Intracoastal.- Call Dixie Divers 954-420-0009. Dixie Divers new shop location 1455 S Federal Hwy. Deerfield Beach
4. “AQUAVIEW”, “SEA SAFARI” and “CORAL PRINCESS” of SOUTH FLORIDA DIVING HEADQUARTERS - Leaving from Pompano - Located at Sands Harbor Marina, Atlantic Blvd over the Intracoastal - Call 954-783-2299

Make your own reservations with your choice of the boats listed above. Identify yourself as an Oceanwatch Reef Sweep diver - some boats may offer a discount.

Last edited:
Whooo HOoo!!!! Let's do a clean up! Traditionally we have done Pompano Pier. I am game to go there again.

Alright girl... let's see if I can attach the needed Releases here, for some reason I couldn't attach them to the first post.

Depending on which Pier you go to, please print off the right Release for that Pier. Beach walkers just use the Oceanwatch Release. Boat divers will obtain their Releases on the boats.

See you there!!

Attachments

• Deerfield - Release.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Pompano - Release.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Oceanwatch - Release.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Darn it, I am out of town for three days that weekend. I'm real proud to see y'all participating!

I was involved in the first few Reef Sweeps way back when and the good news is that each year, less and less trash is retrieved as people are learning not to litter so much.

Have fun...be safe!!!

This will be the fifth year ScubaBoard is participating. I am proud to be a part of the clean up, and enjoy it quite a bit too!

I only bring one. However, depending on your air consumption, you may want an extra tank. My personal experience with clean ups is the fish swim by seeming to thank you. Make sure you wear gloves and be ready to pick up miles of monofiliment with hooks and sinkers.

Wow. I am surprised that more are not interested at this time to clean up the pier. The clean up is just one way to give back to the ocean so much that it has given us. The fish seem to say "thank you" as they swim past and see you with a wad of fish line and hooks. Also, it is generally finders keepers for all finds, with the exception of guns. Yes, somebody found a gun last year. I found a few bullets and a ring, that turned out to be a cheapo. Yet it was fun trying to find out if it was a diamond or not.

Have already singed up for a spearfishing trip that day.
If it dosn't go I could make it

I agree with Jenny. This is a GREAT way to give back and keep our playground clean.

My buddy and I were diving off LBTS and I saw this HUGE porcupine fish (ET) swimming with the hook in his mouth and as he goes away from me I see that he's also dragging the sinker still attached to the line about 3 feet from him.

A little while later here is the same puffer stuck on the reef as the sinker caught up on the reef and the fish was going nowhere. :( My buddy comes over with his knife as I try to hold the puffer without him blowin' up on me and cuts the line.

As the puffer swims away, he turns around and looks at us as if to say "thank you".

That's why I do this!!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom