22" LP hose? That seems really short

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Atomic Z1s on my doubles and the 22" length is fine. The hose comes out of the end port on the reg and the reg is tilted so that the hose runs where its supposed to go without any bends.

I had wondered about that as well, since the SP's have the hose coming straight out the bottom.
Basically that orientation gives you an extra 2". The routing on ScubaPro piston regs is the cat's ass, but I ditched them for other reasons and your dive environment is one more reason to stay away from them.

I appear to be the exception in this thread. I've got 22" LP hose on my Apeks XTX200 left post reg, and it is just right.

Basically that orientation gives you an extra 2". The routing on ScubaPro piston regs is the cat's ass, but I ditched them for other reasons and your dive environment is one more reason to stay away from them.

Yeah, that's why I decided to stick with Zeagles. I've had mine under ice and in water in the high 30's and 110 plus feet deep and never had any sort of issue. I know some guys locally with the piston SP's and Atomics that have had problems in the cold. Not super common, but much more so than the guys I've talked to with Zeagle and Apeks. Plus there is a lot of Zeagle and Apeks support around here.

I tried a 22" hose on my Zeagles/doubles but it was just too short. 24" is OK.

I just bought myself a christmas present of 2 new Zeagle Flathead VI's for my doubles, so I can get my mix matched current set of doubles regs off of there and get them ready for stage bottle use. I'm sorting out my hoses and was suggested by my tech instructor to go with 26" HP hose because of my height, but the 22" LP hose he suggested seems really short. I'm wondering if it will restrict head movement when I'm on the backup reg. Is it unanimous that the 22" hose is long enough, or has anyone opted for a 24" or 26" hose and found that to be a better fit?

Thanks,
Jim

It depends on the regs that you use.
For swivel-type regs (in my case Scubapro MK25), I can use a 22"
For other kinds you may need longer (I need 24" on Apeks DS4)

Basically you want just enough so you can turn your head fully to the left w/out tugging the reg, and unless you have really weird regs or a really wide neck, I am guessing 22 or 24 should do you.

It's not the cost of the hoses or the changing them (I do all my reg overhauls), it's more that I just don't want to spend 3 hours driving time and fuel to find out I bought the wrong one. Judging by what everyone has said, it seems that the 24" is going to be the best bet to start with, so I'll go ahead and pick one of those up. I'll post some pics of my rig once it's together. It's been a year and a half of evolution since I first bought the doubles and a backplate, and with the addition of the matching Flathead VI regs, it's just about where I want it to be.

Thanks everyone,
Jim

Here's a thought: Throw your gear into the car. Bring it with you. Try it out on the spot. If it's too short, you can exchange it right there and then, without having to make a separate trip.

Well I tried a 24" lp hose, and it was way too short. I could just barely get the mouthpiece in my mouth with my head straight, if I moved my head to the left at all, the mouthpiece pulled out. My rec instructor and I did some digging around and found an old Oceanic regulator with a 27" hose. The fittings were spotless with no corrosion, so I changed the O rings on both ends of the hose and tried it out. It worked perfectly, I could just turn my head about 45 degrees to the left before the mouthpiece started to pull out. Feels like it should be just right.

Jim

Hmmm... you wanna snap a picture of your routing and toss it up here? Something doesn't sound right.

hey jimmer when i dive my ds4's the 22 inch hose is to short but its fine with my atomics but dont go much longer than a 24 just make sure its routed over all the other hose if not it will be short ran into that problem when i first swapped it out to the 22 incher it will takes some getting used to same with the 24 inch spg hose and im 6.6ft works fine for me lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom