23 days to first Bonaire trip! Please share your best tips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Main Diver, I just returned from my 9th trip to the island. Post Bonaire Depression has set in:depressed:

I did the UV night dive with new father Bas (OB1) for the second time. I did it my last trip and was so tripped out I had to do it again. Well worth it. I knew what to expect and what to look for. Bas got a nice meal afterward too:D

One thing we did on this trip that was new was to rent a small power boat from Bonaire Boats located at Plaza Resort. It was a 19 foot boat and we stocked it with food and drinks and took off for a four hour tour:D We zipped along the coast South, then North, then tooled over to Klein and grabbed a mooring and snorkeled (no diving from rental boats). It was truly one of my most enjoyable SI afternoons on Bonaire. If you like boating I'd highly recommend it.

Have a great trip:cool2:

Would one of those boats work as a family dive boat? Or too small?

Would one of those boats work as a family dive boat? Or too small?

You mean in the US? If so, yes. If you mean on Bonaire, no. They will not let you take dive gear and tanks. They only let you take snorkel gear. The boat we rented was 19ft and could fit eight (would be a bit tight). You wouldn't be able to sneak gear on either. They are there when you load and unload the boat. You are also not allowed to moor it up to a dock. One in our group forgot her skin, so we pulled up just outside the blue water at Belefonte, I swam to the dock, got the skin and swam back.

You also need to bring your paper receipt for the marine park tag if you want to snorkel. They require it. You are also given a map of where you can go. South to around Belmar, and then North to Oil Slick Leap. And then on the leeward side of Klein.

One in our group forgot her skin, so we pulled up just outside the blue water at Belefonte, I swam to the dock, got the skin and swam back.

Boat Chick..I am glad to see that you were cognizant of the rules. I know for a fact that these rental boats are a cause of much consternation by the property owners in the Belnem area of Bonaire.

To reiterate; anyone who rents one of these boats ( and I advise you do so since they are a lot of fun), DO NOT take the boat out of the blue water in an effort to get closer to shore. Many times there are divers/swimmers in the shallow waters. Obey the marine rules and everyone is fine. Disobey and there will be a grass roots effort to pressure on the government to ban them.

We stayed @ Sand Dollar Dec09/Jan10 and loved it, one afternoon we did a dive from Buddys pier south and then exited @ the Sand Dollar pier, the next day we parked our truck @ Front Porch and then entered @ the Sand Dollar pier exiting @ Front Porch. Both times we used the slight southernly current to ease us along...incredibly relaxing.

Front Porch actually had the highest concentration of fish we saw all week.

Favorite Dinner: Cactus Blue...amazing fresh tuna (rare) w/coconut rice (had it two nights).

BTW, I clip an Otterbox 2000 to my BC which contains my glasses, credit card, drivers license, and cash (but I'm a noob so there is probably a better way).

The posts have given some great tips. I'll add that I take one of the Walmart $6 Solar (camping) showers. Fill it up, and put it on the cab roof while diving and you'll have HOT water to rinse off your hair/face and equipment. I usually donate it when I'm ready to leave.

I also take a collapsible cooler (like some use for lunches) and it's just right for a few bottle of water. I also take my own pitcher and make ice tea - I don't care for soda much. I also take nagle (sp?) bottles (but empty water bottles will work too) and fill them 1/2 full and put in the freezer to top off in the morning and put in my little cooler. I have room for those who don't remember to freeze their water to put their bottles in the cooler too.

Bring bug spray.

I wear glasses - prescription sunglasses during the day. I've just left them in plain view on the dash, windows down, door unlocked, and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem. They aren't worth much to anyone else so I guess that's why they haven't been bothered. I may consider putting them in one of my pockets, if I can find room - slate, wet notes, spare mask, spool, bag, etc.

For groceries, check first at the Asian Market (don't remember the name) across the street from the Power/Water generation plant. Just north of Buddies. If they have what you want, they will be cheaper than elsewhere. They have a very limited selection though. (Not sure about booze/beer prices tho). I always stop there, get what they have that I need, then try the other two mentioned grocery stores for the rest.

Have a great trip!

Boat Chick..I am glad to see that you were cognizant of the rules. I know for a fact that these rental boats are a cause of much consternation by the property owners in the Belnem area of Bonaire.

To reiterate; anyone who rents one of these boats ( and I advise you do so since they are a lot of fun), DO NOT take the boat out of the blue water in an effort to get closer to shore. Many times there are divers/swimmers in the shallow waters. Obey the marine rules and everyone is fine. Disobey and there will be a grass roots effort to pressure on the government to ban them.

Vince, I'm a stickler for rules, you know that :cool2:

We shop at Warehouse, finding that they have a better selection for us than Cultimara. One thing we do is buy 2 large bottles of water at the start of our 2 week stay. Then we simply refill them daily as we use them, one is frozen overnight for drinking at dive sites the next day, and the other is filled and put in the bed of the truck for warm rinse water at dive sites. The frozen bottle slowly melts while you're diving, so you get cold drinking water.

At the end of our 2 week stay, we smash the plastic bottles and put them in the bottom of our luggage, taking them home for recycling instead of leaving them for the Bonaire landfill.

Check out Cactus Blue's early bird special for dinner. VERY inexpensive way to have an excellent dinner, and they have pints of beer (on tap), which pleased my husband to no end. Also, Papaya Moon has the best Mango Margaritas I could find on island, and they also have a 2 for 1 happy hour everyday. Buenos Aires restaurant has outstanding lunch specials for $10 everyday, so check those out as well.

Ditto on both Cactus Blue and Buenos Aires. I love both of those places.

Enjoy the heck out the reef in front of Sand Dollar. From there on down past Capt. Don's as far as I have been is excellent. Of course you have Something Special a little way south which is indeed special.

Have a great time and be safe.

Check out Cactus Blue's early bird special for dinner. VERY inexpensive way to have an excellent dinner, and they have pints of beer (on tap), which pleased my husband to no end.

If you have a designated driver you have to try their "Lethal Cactus" drink...but be warned it packs a KICK! :drunks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom