24hours no fly time enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juzdive

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone advise if 24hours no fly time is enough if you did about 20 dives?

If not, what is the recommended?

Thanks!

Hi juzdive,

As I am sure you know, the no-fly time will very much depend of the type of diving you intend to do but I suspect a full 24 hours may be sufficient if you do not do any serous technical dives but 20 dives will load your slower tissue compartments considerably.

As a memebr of this forum you must know, from earlier threads, that it takes 24 hours to completely desaturate from helium and two and a half days, that is 63.5 hours, to completely desaturate the slowest tissue compartments of nitrogen. So you are still effectively decompressing on the Tuesday evening if your last dive was on the previous Sunday.

As I am sure you also know most dive computers provide no fly times after diving - not much use for planning a holiday I know!

I am sorry I cannot answer your question myself but I have posted this as would like to know what state of saturation computer alogorithms use before they consider it is safe to fly. I am sure there must be an accepted standard.

Dear juzdive:

As far as I last heard, if you are a recreational diver, and performing recreational (no decompression) dives, the 24-hour surface interval is all that is required. I am aware that DAN is performing some studies on this, but I do not believe that they have released any different conclusions at this point in time.:)

Long, deep dive will bring other questions into focus. Naturally, if you have some joint pain, it is best not to board the plane since it will only become worse if it truly is DCS (and indicates a free gas phase present in you body). :boom:

Diverting the plane to make a medical landing is more than an embarrassment.

Dr Deco :doctor:

It also depends over what time period you did these dives and of course how deep & long the dives where.

As to no-fly times given by computers, the only algorithm used there is the 'manufacturer-doesnt-wanna-be-liable' algorithm.
Computer no fly times are arbitrarily chosen.

When i am doing pool work for 30 min at 12 feet my computer tells me i cant fly for 12 hrs which of course is utter nonsense.

yea i am going to heavily loaded with N2 after a 'dive' to 12 feet for 30 min............NOT :D

Dear Readers:

Algorithms

It is true that there does not exist sufficient data at the current time to produce a good algorithm. Clearly some of them are simple “generic” information. That is why you will find that a shallow dip in the pool results in a computer that advises a twelve to twenty-four hour duration before flying.

DAN

I understand that DAN has a research project to elucidate better no-fly times. There is a multiplicity of dive scenarios, however, and it is difficult to test them all. In addition, real questions arise when divers engage in multiple days of diving. There must then be multiple dive days in the laboratory if this question is to be fully answered.

This “multiday arrangement” is a difficult experiment to perform if you want many test subjects, as you could well imagine. :confused:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom