$2600 for housing and camera, Which??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've got about $2600 to spend on a housing and video camera. What's the consensus on what I can get? I would like 3ccd. The still picture feature isn't important. I would like to be able to shoot WA and macro (sailfin Blenny size or smaller, if possible).

Lighting isn't figured in to the price as I have a couple of HID's that might work. I'm leaning towards Ikelite because of association, but would prefer an electronic housing if it were reasonable.
So far, I like the VX1000 and the TRV 900-950. Top side use isn't as important as in water functionality.

I appreciate all information that I can get.

Jamie

Divesherpa:
I've got about $2600 to spend on a housing and video camera. What's the consensus on what I can get? I would like 3ccd. The still picture feature isn't important. I would like to be able to shoot WA and macro (sailfin Blenny size or smaller, if possible).

Lighting isn't figured in to the price as I have a couple of HID's that might work. I'm leaning towards Ikelite because of association, but would prefer an electronic housing if it were reasonable.
So far, I like the VX1000 and the TRV 900-950. Top side use isn't as important as in water functionality.

I appreciate all information that I can get.

Jamie

I just went through this process but with a budget of less than half yours. With $2,500 to spend you can afford a three CCD camera

About the lights: Video requires a very wide angle. Maybe as much as 60 degree beam spread so you will need to figure out some way to make your HID lights go that wide. Perhaps some kind of plastic difuser like the stuff they use in offices under flourecent lights. The trick is to remove the "hot spot" in the center and defuse the lights evenly. I plan to experimant with some build it my self options

If you are concidering a used camera like the VX1000 or the TRV 900-950. then you should also concider a housing that is NOT camera specific. Get a "generic" housing so that you can later replace the camera. So that if your used 950 fails you can buy an HC1000 . I would not spend a lot of money on a housing unless I was sure I could still find a comaers to fit inside of it in five years. the Generic housing will house anything that can physically fit inside.

The trouble is that you want access to the nice feaures of those pro-summer cameras so
Look at the Ocean Images housing. They make a generic housing (Dolphin pro?) and they offer three options on the electronic controls. The high end option gives complete control to the menu system on the newer Sony cameras. But ask first. It does not work on some of the older Sonys so I don't know about the 900. and the vx1000 is to large for the housing.

What about the new Sony hc1000? Price is about $1100 and then the housing with is maybe $1,000. Add a wide angle lens and a color filter and you are right at your budget. and have a new camera.

I just could not afford a 3-chip camera but for quality results that is the way to go. Three chip color is so much better

All that said. I know someone who might be selling a VX1000 in a Gates housing for about your budget price. Of course the housing is specific to the vx1000 but there is a huge supply of used vx1000 available. But think twice a housed vx1000 is _huge_ but does produce truely professionalresults. Well it did, many pros are going HD now.

My TRV33 in a Top Dawg housing cost a total of $1070. I bought a store demo trv33 and a new housing. but you have 2.5x more budget so you should have no throuble finding something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom