28° is hot or cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its Obvious from the posts, its a personal preference (and also your current normal temps) I live in Bangkok and the average daily temp is 33+ C, originally Im from England and diving in 28 C water, I would have been in board shorts and a smile, nowadays, I need a 5mm semi dry or Im just to cold, and the water needs to be 33 before Im in boardshorts and a smile now

Yeah, I'm with P Rabbit - used to dive in North Atlantic, dry suit, dry gloves, dry hood, 4-5C water.

I recently got a 3mm suit for our local diving (26-28C) and after freezing for a while, have gone back to my old 5mm suit - the 3mm is fine for the most part, but leaks a lot more water through the zippers than my old Cressi 5 mil. And the 5mil looks like a real diver's suit as well - faded, torn, patched, permanent pee smell :)

Basically, you dont need a lot of thick insulation in water of that temperature - but what you do need is a way to prevent heat loss by conduction. So I'd suggest that if possible, think of a well-sealed 5mm and a hood as opposed to a 7mil 2-piece.

Vandit

28 C is like bath water. I dive in shorts and a rash shirt when it's that warm...

Z...

DandyDon:
We're all different, some chill more than others, but really want to dive. :wink:

It's also about how much you move around, I think. Years ago I would have found it warm in 28C with a 5mm shorty but I was diving for 45 min and was fairly .... er.... active (read I flapped around a lot and chased after things). These days I'll make much longer dives at a much slower tempo. Apart from my ankles most of my body doesn't move much at all during the dive (which is the reason i can make much longer dives...) and I need more exposure protection as a result.

R..

I can't believe some of these answers.
28/82,4 as found in most of NE Brazil at this time of year certainly doesn't need a 7mm!
Why would anyone want to dive a 7mm which needs a lot of weight when they can enjoy the freedom of diving with much less?
At these temps I normally dive a 3mm shorty and when doing a night dive (3rd dive of the day) I'd just put a full skin under it.
When wreck diving it may be convenient to use a 3mm full but more for protection against scrapes than thermal protection.

Summers here is 80 to 82 degree water and i wear a 3/2 full and am fine , actually i could easily trunk it. I get cold easy and swap to a 7mm in 75 degree water the 7 is actually a little warm for that water .

miketsp:
I can't believe some of these answers.
28/82,4 as found in most of NE Brazil at this time of year certainly doesn't need a 7mm!
Why would anyone want to dive a 7mm which needs a lot of weight when they can enjoy the freedom of diving with much less?
At these temps I normally dive a 3mm shorty and when doing a night dive (3rd dive of the day) I'd just put a full skin under it.
When wreck diving it may be convenient to use a 3mm full but more for protection against scrapes than thermal protection.

:confined: Hi Mike,
As you see, every person has a different opinion, something really interesting. I'll dive in 7mm, I tend to chill in no time, and I know in Brazil the water is warm at surface, but colder when descending, so, what should I take the risk of getting cold, if I can prevent it?
Most of the guys who answered are used to 1) cold water 2) wear 3mm or 5 mm. I could also add, that men in general are used to colder water than women. When I take a bath, my water is extremely hot in winter, and a bit more colder in summer (let me explain that in winter days of average temperature of 5/8°C I wear 2 or 3 sweaters if required!).
Two years ago I've been in the S of Brazil, Florianopolis, (Arvoredo), the water was 18/20°C and I had to wear 11mm. In my first dive I tried 5mm, and I could say I was cold. So, in my second dive I knew this and, therefore, needed more neoprene. My reasoning at the moment was that it was supposed to be a enjoying my dive, but I woudn't if I had to abort due to my mistake.
The other important fact is that I tend to be very relaxed when diving, which means that I need to be warm.
This time I think that in case I feel it's very hot I'll open the suit a bit, or even wear the jacket instead of the pants. And, if after my fist dive I feel it's still too much, I'll rent a 5mm.
I'll let you know once I'm back how everything worked out!
Obrigada,
Karen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom