288 Lake In December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaizerWilhelm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading down to Houston for Christmas break in a few weeks and want to dive in the great country of Texas. Because I'll only be in Houston for a few days I figure that I just hit up 288 Lake.

I've never dove (dived?) anywhere other than the PNW let alone freshwater. My question is, how much weight should I use in the lake? For y'all's information I was going to bring SS BP/W (-6lb.), my Halcyon weighted STA (-8lb.) & DUI CF200x. I usually use a total of 26lb. on a single steel tank. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Will
(PNW Transplant from Houston)

I'm not an expert, particularly with the gear configuration you are using, but generally I've found that I have to adjust my weights by about four pounds when going from salt to freshwater (I use a backinflate BC and neoprene farmerjohn and jacket). My best advice would be to start about 5 pounds heavier than your normal salt lead load, and do a buoyancy check at the beginning and end of your first dive. (The first check just to get an idea if you're close, and the one at the end to fine tune your set-up.)

Welcome to Texas and freshwater diving! It'll be different, I think I can safely say. Hope you have a good time and that my South Texas brethren will extend you all the hospitality for which the Lone Star State is known. Be sure to post a report after your dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom