Howdy - It took 43 years and 3 tries but I'm finally here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to SB from a fellow former Houstonian! Well...close anyway....little further south along I-45.

First of congrats on your new-found obsession. Sounds like you jumped in head first! And the fact that you have your son in it with you....mine starts his OW this weekend and then next weekend at the lake. Visbility is better than the 6" you found in PK Lake but max will be about 12-15 ft and I won't be in the water with him. I don't know that I'll even take my gear because I think if I do I'll be tempted to be in the water while he's doing his class and that's not good for him or his instructor, especially seeing as how I'm a DM for the shop. I want him to learn on his own. Sure I'll be there to answer questions and help him in any way he asks after he gets his cert. But until then I'm just a bystander.

Sounds like you have a pretty good progression plan lined out though. Definitely get your AOW and Nitrox. I followed that progression pretty quickly after my OW because after those first few dives I knew I was hooked. From there the rabbit hole only gets deeper. Enjoy!

ncpdra-logo-new.jpg

Lake Norman Quarry
Get Directions
350 Greenbay Road
Mooresville, NC 28117
I-77, Exit 36. Head west on Hwy 150. Go approximately 3.5 miles just past Big Daddy’s Restaurant to Paradise Peninsula. (If you reach Queen’s Landing, you have gone too far.) Turn left onto Paradise Peninsula. Go 150 feet and turn left onto Greenbay Road. Go approximately 1 mile on Green Bay and look for quarry gate on the left.
lake-norman-quarry-map.jpg

Download PDF
Lake Norman Quarry Manager
Photo-Buddy-McKinney.jpg

Buddy McKinney
(828) 217-3788
Photos
lake-norman-quarry-ncpdra-600x500.jpg

lake-norman-quarry-ncpdra2-600x500.jpg

lake-norman-quarry-panoramic-600x500.jpg

QUARRY LOCATIONS
info@ncpdra.org

I don't know that I'll even take my gear because I think if I do I'll be tempted to be in the water while he's doing his class and that's not good for him or his instructor

During our lessons, this exact thing happened. A boy about the age of 12 was in the class and his father, who was already certified, did the helicopter-dad thing and kept coaching from the sidelines. Was really disruptive to us all. We had two instructors and they ended up splitting up the class so the kids dad wouldn't ruin it for the rest of us who paid.

It's very exciting to have my son along with me. He's a Junior in High School, so we've only got a few years left with him being at home, so making the most of it.

Makes for good times

IMG_5952.jpg

Divad, thanks, you're the second person to point out the PDRA recently. Took my regs into a local shop here and they mentioned it. Looks like a really good deal, and I'm smack in the middle of all 3 of those quarries. Great option for trying out gear and working on skills. Are you associated with them or a member?

Divad, thanks, you're the second person to point out the PDRA recently. Took my regs into a local shop here and they mentioned it. Looks like a really good deal, and I'm smack in the middle of all 3 of those quarries. Great option for trying out gear and working on skills. Are you associated with them or a member?

I forgot about them, as I am closer to Lake Jocassee. I get the impression that the divers there are fairly squared-away so, hopefully, they may be be a good influence. (as opposed to SOME Romper-Roomish commercial quarries).

(as opposed to SOME Romper-Roomish commercial quarries.

I've been fortunate not to run across that too much. OW Lessons are always going to bring about the young kids that like to bounce all over the place, but our instructors seemed to take it in stride and manage well once we split the class up.

I get the same feeling about PDRA. You pay your annual dues and they send you a key in the mail so you can use the three quarries any time you want. Seems like it's mainly Rescue and Tech type folks practicing or testing gear which I really like.

I'm one of those types that will go through 3 tanks trying to get the perfect hover over the course of a weekend.

I got my son certified for exactly the same reason. Now if my 4 year old daughter would just grow up and get certified, my wife would have no option but to go on dive trips for family vacations.

Back
Top Bottom