2nd annual Sink-O de Mayo Pre Invasion Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart let me know all the swim throughs and penetrations in the Florida Keys were closed by the CC...errrr...CRD captain. Especially for those of you on rebreathers and doubles. Good thing he let me know before I got down there as I might of been in trouble.

Well, on CCR, I never broke 1900psi the whole weekend; so I was good....

as to boats - we'll I love the wrecks and a Sink-O wouldn't be a Sink-O without that fun boat briefing on Sat am :D:mooner: (seemed very familar from last yr !!)

Would that be the reef boat where the capt said if we had to put on life jackets then the d*** boat was sinking?

Would that be the reef boat where the capt said if we had to put on life jackets then the d*** boat was sinking?

nope the wreck boat for Bibb/Duane, where we were given an overly long speach telling us how to dive: told no one could go below 100ft (as PADI says so ??!?), [even though just about the entire Bibb is more than 100ft !], swim throughs "close" at some arbitrary pressure, the exact pressure we must do things, and we had to be back on the boat 30 mins after the first person got in the water (not how long you were in the water or what you computer said etc)....then if we wanted to do more than 30 minute for the 2nd dive we could cut our SI shorter than the 55 mins alotted:shakehead: (regardless they were both deep wrecks)....needless to say it was a long (especially with a bobbing boat) briefing that very few paid much attention too......i'm all for safety but "speeches" definitely need to be "tailored" to the clientelle on board....anyhow it caused minor amusement for myself (as it was the same last year :D) - still a great day of diving...amazing viz...and luckily the boat waited until after dive 4 before one of the engines packed up, so a slow relaxing journey back to port.

...2nd day was great we had the small boat - although a bit cramped, safety conscious but not overly anal...just a shame the weather was a bit sloppy. can't remember the name of the Capt on day 2's small boat, but Jim (the older guy) was the DM - he was great.

Ahh
I thought you were referring to the reef boats, theres the life jacket holds and if you cant figure out how to put one on, your own your own and the gene pool gets a little chlorine, and if we need to put one on, then 2 things have happened. We have realized the baot is sinking. And the D*** boat is sinking.

Followed not long after with what was to become a familar apology, Sorry folks have to change the filters again.
I would like to put more of the safety speech, but I know that there are some members who would frown on it.

Ok guys... I know its the same thing... but you do have to remember the wormhole that is the keys, or anytime you venture into a mainstream recreational operation...

Not EVERYONE on the boat was Scuba Steve... and I know some of us tend to shirk off, giggle, point, laugh, etc... ok, I'm kidding about the last part, about how pieces of the briefing don't apply to us... these 'traditions' in the speeches are their routine... Relationships w/ boat captains take time to form, and it takes more than a trip or two a year to cement yourself in their memory, despite the relationships we may have in the front office.... So, lighten up a bit, and give the folks a little benefit of the doubt, after all, we had a great day, and everyone came home safe, and I don't recall anyone getting any post dive grief, despite a few of us <eh hem...> coming back on board with more than our fair share of the wreck with us...

I agree Tim, it comes with the territory, that being the Keys.

but... I could really give two ****s about how to get a good picture of a grouper when (a) I have no camera (b) I am as green as an O2 sticker... just let me get in the damn water!

Ok guys... I know its the same thing... but you do have to remember the wormhole that is the keys, or anytime you venture into a mainstream recreational operation...

Not EVERYONE on the boat was Scuba Steve... and I know some of us tend to shirk off, giggle, point, laugh, etc... ok, I'm kidding about the last part, about how pieces of the briefing don't apply to us... these 'traditions' in the speeches are their routine... Relationships w/ boat captains take time to form, and it takes more than a trip or two a year to cement yourself in their memory, despite the relationships we may have in the front office.... So, lighten up a bit, and give the folks a little benefit of the doubt, after all, we had a great day, and everyone came home safe, and I don't recall anyone getting any post dive grief, despite a few of us <eh hem...> coming back on board with more than our fair share of the wreck with us...

Thanks Tim.....well said.

Good Diving/Hunting,

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom