2nd gen oil filled aladin pro battery question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitrox

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
hi everyone, I was starting to get my hopes up that I could change this battery myself, however I just discovered that there is a difference between the 1st gen (beauchat type 3 contact) and 2nd gen (oil filled 4 contacts) aladin pro computers.

I just called scubapro in california and had a simply lovely (not) conversation with one of the techs in which I learned that:

this computer is un-upgradeable
battery can't be done by the end-user
can't be sent in by the end-user, must be sent in by a dealer (oh no).
every dealer sets their own price
I should 'shop around' to find the best dealer to send it in

this is a nightmare because I know that dealers charge big $ just to send this to the address that I already have.

I have already purchased a new tec 2g which I love, but my aladin pro is a trusted friend, great backup, and I can't see myself selling it after all this time.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can change these batteries, and if not, if there is a dealer who is willing to send these in for us and not bite a chunk out of us financially? Thanks so much, I have already spent several hundred on battery replacements for this computer and it's getting out of hand. Can't bear to see it languish on a shelf either :)

I know it has been a few months since you posted this but just thought I'd let you know that it doesn't appear to be that difficult to replace the battery in a gen 2 aladin pro I am half way through trying it. When I get done and in water tested I'll let you know if it was, successful.

Hi fellow divers,

I have started an online business to help my fellow divers with their problem of replacing their old aladin dive computers.

i have so far fixed and repaired 4 of my friends dive computer and have worked fine. so if you want a quick fix at a low cost

visit

aladinbatterychange.350.com

Thanks

I think that is similar to the MARES Genius: Open the case, mineral oil will run out. You can see the battery, it is soldered in, get a replacement at Radio Shack. Have the actual change out one by someone who works on circuit boards. Reassemble in a mineral oil bath. It's not a big deal, I've done it twice.

The $40 deal above sounds good, the battery cost me $10, the soldering $20 and after you buy a few quarts of mineral oil ...

Glad mine comes as easy as they come.
4 small screws and a $5 battery.little O-ring grease
And I'm on my way.:D

Back
Top Bottom