3 CCDs or a better optical zoom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which do you think is more important?

I'm look at some of Panasonic's offerings, namely the GS35 and GS65. The 65 has 3 CCDs, but only a 10x optical zoom.

Conversely, the GS35 has only 1 CCD but has 30x optical.

So which do you think is more important for UW work?

Thanks for the input.

Aggie Diver:

I'm look at some of Panasonic's offerings, namely the GS35 and GS65. The 65 has 3 CCDs, but only a 10x optical zoom.

Thanks for the input.
The one you can find a housing for.

I don't know how much better an image the cheaper 3 CCD cameras give,maybe in low lux conditions they perform better.
However, 30x optical zoom - I can see an advantage if you are close on a small subject, or are in very clear water, but for zooming in on far away subjects thru water with suspended crap in it, I can't imagine good footage.

Aggie Diver:

Thanks for the input.

For UW filming, IMHO, 3ccd's is more important.

Go for the 3 ccd camera. A 30x optical zoom is useless without a tripod. A 10x optical zoom is very difficult to hold steady when zoomed in. Underwater you are better off staying relatively wide and getting as close as possible to your subject. Low light performance is far more important than the ability to zoom in.

Thanks for the input. The main things I was thinking about the better zoom for are for macro work, and then also for things like shark feed dives where obviously it'd be a little bit tricky to get close enough to the feed without losing something besides my camera. LOL!

Typically in film work, it's preferable to zoom as little as possible. Better to actually move the camera. I say go with 3 CCD's. When I got a 3 CCD camera, the image difference was amazing.

That's my 2 cents.

-Bill

Some thoughts on this... What quality is the lens? Is it good glass or cheap garbage? A 30X POS is no bargin. What size are the CCD's? BIGGER is better. Broadcast cameras use three 2/3" chips, usually. Some have three 1/2" CCD's.

BTW guys, you don't FILM with a video camera!!!!!! You videotape. Another pet peeve, like when someone tells a camera op to pan DOWN, you pan left or right and you TILT up and down.

Just an interesting devolopment when I forgot to set the "Night Vision" on my Sony...in Murky water, the "subject" came out Very good. Not that I shoot much video in murky water, I had to video a body due to an Industral accident in Tacoma Washington two years ago.
After viewing the video, I realized that it was set on "Night Vision". I re-videoed the accident using "Normal" camera settings. The one in "Night Vision" really came through. It even showed the "Color" too. I didn't expect it but was able to satisfy the Insurance company. Bill

IMHO:

Zooming has always been overated both for still and video, underwater and on land. Better to move to the right location / distance. The quality trade-offs that the lensmaker had to make to get that amount of zoom will show.

Quality of image is second to none.

If all else is equal and you can find a good housing, go with the 3 CCDs.

Regards
Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom