3 Days in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt's right. The forecast calls for sloppy conditions... 3-5' seas at the reef... probably another foot or so at the wrecks.

That being said, some divers deal with slop more effectively than others. The big boats (and a few of the smaller ones) will run if the current forecast is accurate, and if they have enough willing sponsors to make the trip economically feasible. It ain't pretty, but it's doable!

Keep an eye on the NOAA forecast, and make contingency plans in case you get blown out. The Everglades is great this time of year, especially when the wind is blowing over 20 knots. The History of Diving Museum in Tavernier is another good non-diving option. Key West is a no-brainer... great museums and people watching!

Thanks guys, you're right. I keep trying to ignore it, hoping it will go away...but it sure doesn't seem to be. :(

My group of 12 is heading there tonight and we're in the same boat. Well not exactly, our boat is full. j/k But we have a lot of money invested in airfare and deposits so we are coming. We are a hardy bunch and will be ready to go if the captain will allow it.

Good luck! I hope your dives and trip turn out great!

Diving in 3-5ft seas is fun don't listen to them! :wink:

It'll be rough but oh well if I can manage to crawl up a boat in similar condition's with one bad leg you guy's will be fine.

Vis will be down, but hey any day underwater is better than a day above :)

Its also fun to play the game of who gets sea sick first :p

Unless the captain's are not taking people out due to weather, it'll be tolerable, not ideal but welcome to Florida weather. Don't like it..? wait 5 minutes :)

Dive safe and post pics!!

I just talked the captain. He said he was seeing 1-2' this morning, with about 70' of viz. Any other folks that were out today wanna share? His worst case estimate is 3-4' tomorrow with an occasional 5'. I don't dive the Keys enough to know, so I have to rely on the knowledge of those that do. Crossing my fingers.

THIS is one of the reasons I cave dive, lol! Weather? What weather?

Cyberfed, there'll definitely be pictures! It's not often I get both of my kids and my lil bro in the water together. My son leaves on Monday and there's no telling how long it will be til the Marines let me have him back for more diving.

Thanks all!

NOAA forecasts tend to be on the high side. They are making forecasts for large zones and really giving you the potential rather than the actual. Much better to forecast 6' and it turn out to be 3' than the other way around. I wish more buoys provided real time wave data.

The trip was great! I'll post pics later. Time to get back to work now, though :wink: Just took my Marine to the airport. He had a blast in the Keys and is already talking about "next time!"

Thanks for all the help folks!

Im glad you guys were able to get underwater. We often joke that NOAA means No-Go-A...however they are often pretty close.

We also made all of our dives both Friday and Saturday. Friday was a bit rough and cold but Saturday turned out to be calm and sunny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom