3 dives on bucket list..where to first

Where would you go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband was certified in Sipadan back in the early 90s - it wasn't beyond the capabilities of a new diver. He said it was amazing and he's often spoke of going back.

I'd take Sharm of the list. It's over-dived and the fish life steadily decreases on a daily basis. The Thistlegorm wreck is a giant let-down. Although rated as the number 2 wreck in the world; Yongala as the 1st, it is largely uninteresting and crowded.

Sipadan, Galapagos and if you need another Raja Ampat

I'm not sure why you're stating this, Don. Galapagos, I understand, but why the other two?
Oh, I'll leave the discussions on which locations are the most rewarding as well as most challenging to the more experienced travelers.

I don't know if Davey has ever been out of the US, much less on a dive trip, but with a new C-card - I think he may well learn a lot about the challenges of international dive travel and risks when he starts. Practicing a little in the Caribbean and Latin American region would better prepare him for overseas dive travel I think.

I voted Sipadan. As others have pointed out you'll enjoy Galapagos more after you get more experience. I haven't been to Sharm el Shiek.

If you really have less than 24 dives, then I say it is WAAAAY too early to start your bucket list. Your choices for now should be places you can get more experience. Galapagos is for advanced divers, not beginners, for example.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

It's never too early. The real list is forever long, but those are 3 of the more expensive trips I would like to take and next year will be a great chance for me to get one of them.

Thanks for all the help. While I wouldn’t consider myself advanced by any means, diving was a natural fit for me and I don’t really consider myself a beginner, not to sound cocky. My education and career has all been based around physics, fluid and gas systems, and I’ve been a natural in water since I could float. I have taken one international trip, will be taking at least one more this year, and I’ll be taking a domestic trip as well. I’ve done a few dives in low vis, and a couple in decent current.

With the feedback I’ve gotten, sounds like Sipadan next year would be the best choice and maybe I’ll get Galapagos the next.

While I wouldn’t consider myself advanced by any means, diving was a natural fit for me and I don’t really consider myself a beginner, not to sound cocky.
That's the early attitude I had which got me into a number of dumb close calls. Be careful and have great trips. You have DAN's top insurance plan, right?

Hey Davey, don't let Robint and DandyDon deter you, they do most of their diving in New Mexico!?
Sipidan is spectacular, I dove it as a novice and had a blast. Red Sea was a bit of a let down after that but I was not at Sharm which sounds like a fun place. Galapagos would be awesome, my mum was there recently and snorkeled with penguins, too cool.

Hey Davey, don't let Robint and DandyDon deter you, they do most of their diving in New Mexico!?
No, that is a lie. Give your opinions, but speak for yourself.

Oh, I'll leave the discussions on which locations are the most rewarding as well as most challenging to the more experienced travelers.

I don't know if Davey has ever been out of the US, much less on a dive trip, but with a new C-card - I think he may well learn a lot about the challenges of international dive travel and risks when he starts. Practicing a little in the Caribbean and Latin American region would better prepare him for overseas dive travel I think.

Don, I've got to disagree with you on this one. I think it is an American misperception that travel to the Carib or Lat. Am. is easier or safer than travel to many other parts of the planet.

I've always found SE Asia to be extremely easy to get to & get around in. I've only been hustled once in SE Asia....a taxi driver in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. And had one guesthouse owner try to put the moves on me in Luang Prabang, Laos. Both of those happened when I was doing 2 yrs of solo travel as a woman in SE Asia.
Yet, I had the same two things happen during a 5 day stay in Cabo!

A tourist/traveler/diver has to be on top of their game, have good situational awareness, and use common sense wherever they are.

Sipidan is spectacular, I dove it as a novice and had a blast. Red Sea was a bit of a let down after that but I was not at Sharm which sounds like a fun place. Galapagos would be awesome, my mum was there recently and snorkeled with penguins, too cool.

Wow.... Tjack. Not true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom