3 yr old diving 30 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is how I taught my kids to snorkel. They ride your back, I had them more forward and they look over your shoulder.. and we stayed on the surface. If they start choking or having a problem, they will instantly and instictively push you down as they lift themselves above water. This is a very noticeable response/feeling and you can spin around and grab them and deal with any issues within 1-2 seconds. It provides excellent safety and control and they get a lot of confidence.

It is much easier and safer than holding their hand or just watching them, because that does not provide instant and constant feedback on their status. It doesn't take that many sessions of "back riding" before they bail off and want to dive on their own.

I had my twin 4 yr olds snorkeling over shipwrecks in 90 feet, it sounds crazy to me now, but they liked it. Too bad it was pre-GoPro.

If they have been snokeling and diving down and clearing ears for 4-5 years in the Ocean, it is not too hard to teach them to scuba when they are 10.
Random :what mask were they in? I can't find one that fits my 4.5y/o... She is a fish and swims the length of the Boca ymca pool on her own... I guess we could just use swim googles...

It was a challenge. Not sure where we found a small mask. Sorry

Random :what mask were they in? I can't find one that fits my 4.5y/o... She is a fish and swims the length of the Boca ymca pool on her own... I guess we could just use swim googles...

Maybe my kids have big heads, but I've found many masks that they can wear by 4 years old.

Maybe my kids have big heads, but I've found many masks that they can wear by 4 years old.
They get their big head from you, my head is small and humble.

:wink:

I think Willy was three when these were taken. The mask looks big but it sealed well. This was just a generic one I picked up for $30 in a shop in Belize. The free dive masks we have have a smaller face seal. And yeah, I do have a large head....and ears too. The better to hear **** with and think up ways to get revenge....haha.

DSC03989_zpsyipjk0g4.jpg

DSC03992_zps30db21b7.jpg

I will break out one of mine and toss it on her.

We got her a "kids snorkel" set but I swear the mask is made of hard plastic, not silicone of any type. Lol

How the kids like the beach there compared to "home"?

Yeah, the cheap kid's sets suck. Hard plastic that doesn't form to their face.

The beaches here in Phuket, on the Andaman Sea side are nice, at least this time of year. Off shore winds. Calm. The 2 year old had a blast yesterday. Life is good.

That is how I taught my kids to snorkel. They ride your back, I had them more forward and they look over your shoulder..
I'll try that with my 3-year old next trip. He tried a mask but just held his breath as he didn't get the hang of the snorkel last year; he kept putting the wrong end in his mouth when I was trying to show him on the beach... so funny, bless him. He wore arm bands and I held his hand most of the time but back-riding sounds cool and he should feel more confident hopefully, although he did get quite confident in the end last year.
20161029104058_IMG_1388.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom