30 or 40 lb. lift on Halcyon Eclipse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For single rig dives I use an eclipse 30 or a pioneer 36 with a LP 95,mainly dry but sometimes wet.
I like the 30 personally but admit I haven't dove a 40.
Don't think it's nessesary.
I rig my wife up with the 36 because I think it holds her up more comfy on the surface.
You can actually feel the difference in lift and in the bubble roll.
I'd be all over batwings if they worked for Monterey diving.
I'm 5'8" 190lbs and use about 16-18 lbs for total weight.

Xanthro:
Sometimes you half to take off your BP/W and you can't have a "death grip" on it. Suppose you are stuck and your buddy is unavailable. You have to take the BP/W off in order to untangle, you don't want all your weight intergrated because now you'll be bouyant and your BP/W negative pulling you apart.

Same thing applies if you penetrate a wreck, or have to remove the BP/W to get into a tight space for a big bug.

Now, you could mostly dive in a manner in which you avoid ever having to take off your BP/W and thus it wouldn't be as important, but it's still better to be prepared.

Just wear enough weight off your BP/W or BCD to compenstate for the bouyancy of your exposure gear.
I don't know about your experiences in wreck penetration but removing BP/W is not DIR. Unavailable buddy is not DIR.

MonkSeal:
I don't know about your experiences in wreck penetration but removing BP/W is not DIR. Unavailable buddy is not DIR.

Unavailable buddy is against DIR policy, this doesn't mean that something catastrophic can't happen to the team that prevents you from receiving their aid.

As I said, you can avoid many of the conditions that would lead to a need to take off your BP/W, but since keeping yourself and your rig properly balanced is easy and useful and doesn't violate DIR then you should do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom