3000psi yoke for Mk5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I hear there was a 3000psi yoke for the Mk5? I've got a Mk5 with the smaller yoke, but no LP tanks. I'm not entirely sure what I'd use the Mk5 for, but it bothers me to have stuff that I can't (reasonably) use.

Well, you can use it, the old yokes will work on 3000 tanks or you can find another yoke and swap it. It's a screw off, screw on job. Once in a while you can get a complete reg on eBay or locally for little money, you just have to keep an eye out for them and make sure you are getting a 3k yoke. There were 3 yoke styles used on the reg, not sure what the middle one was rated for, maybe Louis will chime in and help out.

The later MK5s, usually found with 5 LP ports, have a heavy yoke that's marked 3000 PSI. This is the same yoke found on the MK10, and is interchangeable with later yokes. So, any SP yoke will do the job, and the easiest way to get one would be to find a SP owner that has converted regs to DIN and is willing to sell you the yoke. Unfortunately that's not me (I'm keeping my spare yokes) but I'll bet someone on the board would sell you one.

As Herman said, lots of people use the older yokes on 3000PSI tanks, and I've certainly never heard of a disaster. If the yoke were to fail, it would almost certainly just bend a little, causing a leak. It's not like the reg would come flying off.

If the yoke were to fail, it would almost certainly just bend a little, causing a leak. It's not like the reg would come flying off.

Oh, that's not so bad then. I was imagining that, with the valve pointed towards my head, the failure mode could be very grave indeed. If it's just likely to bend and leak, it seems that it would be quite safe to use as-is on a pony or for non-dive related purposes (I was considering turning the Mk5 into a way to use my AL80 for a potato cannon, bike pump, duster, etc)

Any modern Scubapro yoke would work if you don't mind matte chrome finish or plastic/rubber. They appear fairly often on ebay for under $20.

I have several yokes sitting around from Mk 5's and 10's converted to DIN. PM me with your address and cover the shipping (small flat rate box) and I'll send you one of the heavy yokes with a 9/16 yoke screw.

Back
Top Bottom