Question Help identify Scubapro First stage (lazy thread #million)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mobulai

Coder Monkey, Dreamer of Transhumanistic Machines
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I snagged this off of local classifieds dirt cheap, I was looking for a donor/practice/shelf piece mk5 and there weren’t enough pics of it.

Just arrived today and I am not so sure anymore what model is it, here’s part of my confusion:
- lower parts below the turret feel like mk5
- it has only 2 ports on that turret
- I never had a INT reg in my life (probably even used one; but this shouldn’t matter)
-one of the turret ports looks oddly similar to a HP port I’m a dumdum, it was just the port plug on the other side, again never seem a 2 port turret

I wanna assume it’s an mk3 but honestly I have a single mk5 that I also never used (currently a shelf piece); pretty clueless about anything before mk10 basically

Any SP whispers out there that can hlep me out identify it?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 38
early mk5
Awesome news and thanks for the lightning reply!
Theoretically, is conversion to later mk5 possible then? (Given I find the parts, it’s not scarred on the inside…)

Awesome news and thanks for the lightning reply!
Theoretically, is conversion to later mk5 possible then? (Given I find the parts, it’s not scarred on the inside…)
The only way to update it is replacing the swivel with the later 4 or 5 hole’s and a stainless retainer bolt.

Sounds like till I find enough donors, I got myself a (rather beautiful) doorstop

I’m not big on nostalgia, this was the hot ticket when I started diving 53 years ago and the MK 5 is an excellent first stage there are a lot of newer first stages floating around. I would put this away and spend more time looking for something like a mk25 in good shape, save the MK 5 project for the future when you may stumble across a great deal on another for parts.

This can serve you well but isn’t worth dumping a lot of $ into.

spend more time looking for something like a mk25
I’m more or less doing that actually, but this one (mk5) was really at door stopper price so I couldn’t say no (around a single tank nitrox fill)

I do appreciate how it looks, I might gut it out for fun/curiosity; but yeah I’ll focus more on converting the mk20s to 25s

Actually come to think of it, I got that inspiration from a thread of yours if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me — wasn’t it you who did that MK20 UL with a SPEC right @lexvil ?

Hi @Mobulai

Old MK5, like the one I bought in 1972. Two LP ports on the turret and one HP (same size as LP) on the upper. An old, lower pressure yoke. Sometime in the late 1990s, I upgraded mine with a new yoke, 4 LP turret, and and HP splitter to the newer HP size. I don't dive it much any more but it works perfectly.

Actually come to think of it, I got that inspiration from a thread of yours if my memory isn’t playing tricks on me — wasn’t it you who did that MK20 UL with a SPEC right @lexvil ?
I did a MK 20 UL, updated to MK 25 for the adjustable IP and a new 25 piston, with MK 5, 10, 15 that end up in my hands I usually save the port plugs, Din connectors and give the body away to someone like you who wants to learn about regulators but I haven’t come across any in a while because they usually come attached to a second stage I was looking for various reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom