300BAR valves with PST E Series?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab:
I actually just talked on the phone with DiveRite this morning and was told that there's no problem with the "200bar DIN/K" valve and filling the tank to its full rated pressure. The only real difference between the "200bar" and the "300bar" valves comes not from the tank's perspective, but from the DIN fitting on the 300bar valve not being able to funciton with a 200bar DIN regulator.

-Rob
Just being nitpicky, the 200 bar valve/fittings are actually 232 bar - using the terminology "200 bar" is confusing to newcomers to the sport.

simbrooks:
my instructor mentioned that i should try to get 300bar valves instead of 232 - i just followed him on this, what actual advantage is there in this - just that they can take a higher pressure?? Our regs are 300bar DIN so should be no problem there.

I swear, buying equipment is the most confusing part of diving!

Your 300bar DIN regs "stick out" on the 232 bar valve because the recepticle is not as deep as on a 300 bar valve. Looks funny. I think people feel the connection is more secure if you can screw it all the way into the socket.

I agree with statement about "confusing". IMHO the profusion of tank sizes has gotten ridiculous.

Ok, i went into Divers Direct last night and they straightened the story out about what they said on the phone. The valves are 3/4", but they (DD) only supply them with a Thermo 232/K valve - they dont have access to the 300bar valves. I think the girl on the phone got confused and started telling me that the tanks were 7/8" or something else that she got confused about. So it looks like i can change out the valves later when i buy a manifold set-up for doubles, but these valves, although not ideal, will work for the time being - just need to sort out getting them stickered for nitrox at another store than DD for a minimal cost!!

simbrooks:
...but these valves, although not ideal, will work for the time being - just need to sort out getting them stickered for nitrox at another store than DD for a minimal cost!!

why do you not like them? they work with din and yoke regs. why do you think a 300bar din is better?

I was informed that "the PST tanks fill up at 3442 psig a 230 bar valve would do the tank fine however one must ensure the protection from overpressurization from the point of the burst disc heat expansion. The fill pressures the tank is rated for are based on repeated filling. The 300 BAR valve will handle the heat build up better than the 230 BAR valve because of it's rated burst disc" from my instructor, and have the 300bar DIN regs and so they would "stick out" as rjchandler stated. Personally if they work that is fine, i am going to be using DIN on them and changing them out for a double manifold anyway in the future, so no great hassle to make do with them in the meantime.

simbrooks:
I was informed that "the PST tanks fill up at 3442 psig a 230 bar valve would do the tank fine however one must ensure the protection from overpressurization from the point of the burst disc heat expansion. The fill pressures the tank is rated for are based on repeated filling. The 300 BAR valve will handle the heat build up better than the 230 BAR valve because of it's rated burst disc" from my instructor, and have the 300bar DIN regs and so they would "stick out" as rjchandler stated. Personally if they work that is fine, i am going to be using DIN on them and changing them out for a double manifold anyway in the future, so no great hassle to make do with them in the meantime.

Um, the burst disk rating and valve size are mutually exclusive of each other. You can get a 300 Bar DIN valve with a 2600 psi burst disk, or you can get a 232 Bar Din valve with a 3442 psi burst disk. They don't have anything to do with each other.

Ok, i am just trying to listen to what i am being told. It was suggested that the burst disks were a factor and the size of the valve fitting (female) to the reg (male) were more suitable. Again, not being so experienced in these things i am trying to take as much info as i can and ask questions where i can. If i had been doing these things for many years i would imagine it would look bad for me to be asking or stating these things, as of my current status, am i supposed to know everything about every piece of scuba equipment available on the market??????

WHY have 300 bar fittings if 232 bar does the same job?????

simbrooks:
Ok, i am just trying to listen to what i am being told. It was suggested that the burst disks were a factor and the size of the valve fitting (female) to the reg (male) were more suitable. Again, not being so experienced in these things i am trying to take as much info as i can and ask questions where i can. If i had been doing these things for many years i would imagine it would look bad for me to be asking or stating these things, as of my current status, am i supposed to know everything about every piece of scuba equipment available on the market??????

WHY have 300 bar fittings if 232 bar does the same job?????

If the store doesn't confuse you, we can collectively drive you batty on this board :bogey:

There used to be clear differences between the uses of the two fittings and the tanks they went on. This has gotten muddled in the last couple of years.

I beleive the differenc developed when high pressur (3500+) tanks came out. There was concern that regs- primarily yoke- could not take the pressure. So some god mandated that HP tanks must have a7/8" neck thread and and valves to fit them must have a deeper socket. That way only regs able to handle the pressure could be attached.

I don't know if the extra thread depth is necessary for a secure and safe fit at 3500+ or if it is only a method for controlling what gets attached. As far as the pressure the valve can take, i think that is contolled by the burst disc which can be changed.

As to your question- 300 bar DIN fittings are availble for LP tanks because people beleive they have a more secure connection(more threads) and/or already had 300 DIN on their regs and didn't like the reg stickin outta the socket.

If you really want to get confused I'll describe my H-valve which has both on it.:)

OH I use my 300 bar regs with 232bar valves all the time. Don't worry about it. If you want 300 bar 3/4" neck fittings for single valves or a manifold - Abysmal.com usually has them and they're havin a sale at the moment.

Don't feel you havta apologize for askin questions

Keep the 232 BAR Thermo valves if you switch them out for a 300 BAR manifold. They are great for stage/deco bottles. You don't need or want the extra weight on those. Then you only need to buy a tank.

simbrooks:
Ok, i went into Divers Direct last night and they straightened the story out about what they said on the phone. The valves are 3/4", but they (DD) only supply them with a Thermo 232/K valve - they dont have access to the 300bar valves. I think the girl on the phone got confused and started telling me that the tanks were 7/8" or something else that she got confused about. So it looks like i can change out the valves later when i buy a manifold set-up for doubles, but these valves, although not ideal, will work for the time being - just need to sort out getting them stickered for nitrox at another store than DD for a minimal cost!!

Back
Top Bottom