32650 Battery for the Big Blue VTL 2500P Video Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I tried a Trustfire 32650 protected 6000 maH Li-ion battery in this light and unfortunately it does not work. When I switch the light on it goes on and immediately shuts down. Anyone have an explanation of this? The original generic blue battery works fine, but I'm looking for a second battery.

Anyone have suggestion for a replacement battery that works in this light?

You can get a battery for the BigBlue from BigBlue and not expensive at all.

I don't see on the Bigblue website that they sell directly to consumers. Where did you find your battery? I think the Bigblue battery is selling for just under $50, which sounds expensive.

Last edited:
I tried a Trustfire 32650 protected 6000 maH Li-ion battery in this light and unfortunately it does not work. When I switch the light on it goes on and immediately shuts down. Anyone have an explanation of this? The original generic blue battery works fine, but I'm looking for a second battery.

Anyone have suggestion for a replacement battery that works in this light?

I have the same problem with the Trustfire batteries - won't work and am not getting any response from them on the problem. Friend of mine bought a spare battery on line and his worked, but it was not a Trustfire. Voltage is right, not sure what else to check that would cause it not to work in the light. ????

I don't see on the Bigblue website that they sell directly to consumers. Where did you find your battery? I think the Bigblue battery is selling for just under $50, which sounds expensive.

I think that it was more like around $30.00. Have you tried to contact BigBlue?

Maybe the rapid voltage drain from the light activates the autoshutdown circuit in the battery (yes that little battery has that) Had some similar issues with batteries used well and then went a long time between charging. Put in a light with less lumens and problem disappears, reappears in higher drain light. Do you know if the original battery had a protection circuit or not. Some of the blue ones I’ve seen do not

Maybe the rapid voltage drain from the light activates the autoshutdown circuit in the battery (yes that little battery has that) Had some similar issues with batteries used well and then went a long time between charging. Put in a light with less lumens and problem disappears, reappears in higher drain light. Do you know if the original battery had a protection circuit or not. Some of the blue ones I’ve seen do not

That was my thinking as well. That the light draws more current than the battery is able to deliver and the voltage drops below the protection threshold and shuts down. But then after the light shuts down I would expect the battery to recover so I can repeat the same behavior, but what happens is after the light shuts down the battery acts like it's dead. How long should the protection circuit take to recover?

The Bigblue battery sells at BhPhoto for about $50 with shipping, which is not cheap, and it looks like a generic battery. Yes it is protected.

Bigblue Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Cell BATCELL32650LI B&H

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 11:27 AM ----------

I did another test on the Trustfire battery. After the light shuts down, the battery is removed from the circuit and reinserted. It seems that removal from the circuit resets the battery. Also the battery works fine if I switch the light into the lower power modes: the spot mode or the red mode.

I'm now convinced the Trustfire is not able to deliver the current at maximum current draw (the brightest video mode) and shuts down.

That was my thinking as well. That the light draws more current than the battery is able to deliver and the voltage drops below the protection threshold and shuts down. But then after the light shuts down I would expect the battery to recover so I can repeat the same behavior, but what happens is after the light shuts down the battery acts like it's dead. How long should the protection circuit take to recover?

The Bigblue battery sells at BhPhoto for about $50 with shipping, which is not cheap, and it looks like a generic battery. Yes it is protected.

Bigblue Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Cell BATCELL32650LI B&H

I'm probably wrong, but I think it may shut down until charged to prevent fully discharging the battery. Mine were going into a blinking mode that is supposed to be the warning before shutting down. How about your charger, does the battery show 3.7 or greater V when charged? May just be a bad battery, there were some bad lots of Trustfire, but I have always had good luck. If it's not critical, order another battery from China think ~ $12 or less

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:45 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 11:27 AM ----------

I did another test on the Trustfire battery. After the light shuts down, the battery is removed from the circuit and reinserted. It seems that removal from the circuit resets the battery. Also the battery works fine if I switch the light into the lower power modes: the spot mode or the red mode.

I'm now convinced the Trustfire is not able to deliver the current at maximum current draw (the brightest video mode) and shuts down.

That's almost identical to what I saw with the moderately depleted batteries in video lights (Used for 4 months, at least weekly and then sat for 8 months before charging) Would work in lower setting but would go into fail mode at higher drain. Bought new trustfire batteries and have not had a problem. Ask the seller if they are fresh before ordering. Also, I bought a cheap LED flashlight with less lumen than the video light to use the old batteries in, works fine :) Might want to try the Archon, supposed to be top line and may find a better price than this Hot Selling Archon 32650 5500mah 3.7v Battery With Pcb - Buy 3.7v Battery,3.7v Rechargeable Battery,3.7v Li-ion Battery Product on Alibaba.com

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:48 PM ----------

OK two for $41.39 and looks like a $10 off coupon too 2PC Newly Designed 32650 Battery ARCHON Rechargeable Li ion 32650 5500mAh 3.7v Protected Battery (Explosion proof battery )-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:49 PM ----------

Have found the Aliexpress/Alibaba sellers to bend over backwards to please, if u ordered the Trustrfire from there, send an email and tell them you want a fresh replacement.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:50 PM ----------

Good Luck :)

I'm probably wrong, but I think it may shut down until charged to prevent fully discharging the battery. Mine were going into a blinking mode that is supposed to be the warning before shutting down. How about your charger, does the battery show 3.7 or greater V when charged? May just be a bad battery, there were some bad lots of Trustfire, but I have always had good luck. If it's not critical, order another battery from China think ~ $12 or less

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:45 PM ----------

That's almost identical to what I saw with the moderately depleted batteries in video lights (Used for 4 months, at least weekly and then sat for 8 months before charging) Would work in lower setting but would go into fail mode at higher drain. Bought new trustfire batteries and have not had a problem. Ask the seller if they are fresh before ordering. Also, I bought a cheap LED flashlight with less lumen than the video light to use the old batteries in, works fine :) Might want to try the Archon, supposed to be top line and may find a better price than this Hot Selling Archon 32650 5500mah 3.7v Battery With Pcb - Buy 3.7v Battery,3.7v Rechargeable Battery,3.7v Li-ion Battery Product on Alibaba.com

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:48 PM ----------

OK two for $41.39 and looks like a $10 off coupon too 2PC Newly Designed 32650 Battery ARCHON Rechargeable Li ion 32650 5500mAh 3.7v Protected Battery (Explosion proof battery )-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:49 PM ----------

Have found the Aliexpress/Alibaba sellers to bend over backwards to please, if u ordered the Trustrfire from there, send an email and tell them you want a fresh replacement.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2015 at 02:50 PM ----------

Good Luck :)

Thanks. I ordered the two Archon batteries.

I checked the voltage of the Trustfire and it read 4.22 in my XTAR VP2 charger and was read as fully charged. I think this battery just cannot deliver the required current. Can I ask you what cheap flashlight you found that uses this battery?

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom