3500 LB White Shark Caught off B.I.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as you acknowledge and credit the source, and it is for non-profit educational reasons, you are not violating copyright.

U.S. Copyright Law and Fair Use

However, since the paper gets paid by its advertisers for the 'hits' on its page, not posting the article allows it to collect its revenue stream, which is fair and honorable.

At least here in California great whites have protected status...

Dr Bill

I agree it was a sad thing to have killed this shark for no more than a trophy. Great Whites are rare here and I still believe we have a fall out and paranoia from Jaws. I'm actually thinking it should be protected here also and am surprised it isn't given they protected the one's off MA. a few years ago.

It's my understanding that the actual body is not even used for the trophy. At best they take a mold of it, in most cases they just choose the right size template for a given fish and paint it based on photos taken.

From what I am told a real taxidermy embalmed fish wouldn't last more than 3-4 years.

What a waste.

What a waste; I can't understand why folks would be proud of catching and killing that awesome creature. What small minded, ego centric dummies they must be.

Here is the article in the Hartford Courant. They were transporting it up to East Hartford for Taxidermy.

Yup, That Was A Shark On I-91 This Morning - Courant.com

Rather not post the article for copyright reasons.

Just think how much that 25' whale shark weighed that we (foul)hooked & released(cut the line) after an hour of fighting-------lol----we were trolling for the tuna around it when we 'snagged' it, an hour later like an elevator it came up & then we got to see it was the WS we had hooked, felt like a VW on the end of the line(thought we had a huge yellowfin tuna the whole time).......BTW, we were just outside the reef off West End of Roatan in our 17' CC-----& had NO mask, snorkel or fins to swim with it, from then on we never left the pier without them.......

My mother's biggest fear is that I will be eaten by a shark while diving. I've tried to reassure her, but nothing works, she doesn't even like it when I show her pictures of the dogfish I see. I made sure to e-mail her this. :wink:

The shark was caught in 1983.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom